28 Nosler buck

Buttermilk

Shot this buck Saturday morning. Used my 28 Nosler loaded with a Hornady 166 A-Tip pushed with a healthy charge of Retumbo, lit by a F215gmm primer. Cartridge was loaded to 3.65 or so (as long as the box Mag would allow in the Browning X-Bolt HCLR. This put the bullet right at the lands, maybe a couple thousands off. Estimated velocity is around 3300 fps as I've not had time to chrono the load.

Hunting thick woods, so the shot was on the short side at maybe 30-40 yards. Shot was place behind the shoulder and lower in the body. Field dressing the deer showed a double lung and heart shot.

The buck kicked like a mule at the bullet impact and ran about 30-40 yards and fell over. He left a good blood trail that wasn't needed as I saw him drop. The bullet passed completely thru the buck, leaving considerable spray on the ground where he was when the bullet impacted the rib cage. Blood trail was significant.

The Hornady 166 A-Tip seemed to work fine even at that close distance. However, I noticed the trauma to the lungs and heart wasn't quite as much as I expected, though the bullet did leave a gaping exit hole, even entrails hanging out. (It was a slight quartering shot, not severe).

Over all I was pleased. Seems I these long range rigs do fine even at short range. 😁

Attachments

• 0CE61644-67FF-403C-8C69-A32FB1CD122C.jpeg
    0CE61644-67FF-403C-8C69-A32FB1CD122C.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 320
  • D7FCFD55-1CFE-4D80-8F57-A47FAA7D97CE.jpeg
    D7FCFD55-1CFE-4D80-8F57-A47FAA7D97CE.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 314
Last edited:
Wow, nice. Going that fast, maybe the bullet didn't have time to do much damage. With a heart lung shot, it doesn't take much damage, although I'm always amazed how far they go without a heart. I shoot a 168 gr. Berger about 450 fps slower. I like the trend to heavier bullets because I believe sectional density combined with a easily expanding bullet works best.

Wow, nice. Going that fast, maybe the bullet didn't have time to do much damage. With a heart lung shot, it doesn't take much damage, although I'm always amazed how far they go without a heart. I shoot a 168 gr. Berger about 450 fps slower. I like the trend to heavier bullets because I believe sectional density combined with a easily expanding bullet works best.
It appears the bullet was a bit delayed in expansion. Not certain. Chest cavity was full of blood. Blood trail was quite good, excellent in fact. One rib was relocated horizontally across the chest cavity.

Just not as much damage to the lungs as I expected. Heart was missing the tip however.

I had little to no expansion with the 135 A-Tips out of a 6.5 Creedmoor at 2785 fps at the muzzle. Both were heart shots at 176 and 340 yards. The 176 yard shot wa a large doe, took out the upper leg bone on the way in, took out the heart, and exited through a rib. She ran 100 yards and went down without and blood on the ground until about the last 10 yards. The largest hole was the exit on the heart and I could cover it with my thumb.

The buck was almost identical, except he went almost 300 yards. Decided to use the rest of these for steel and stick to something that will expand without a high shoulder shot.

Shot this buck Saturday morning. Used my 28 Nosler loaded with a Hornady 166 A-Tip pushed with a healthy charge of Retumbo, lit by a F215gmm primer. Cartridge was loaded to 3.65 or so (as long as the box Mag would allow in the Browning X-Bolt HCLR. This put the bullet right at the lands, maybe a couple thousands off. Estimated velocity is around 3300 fps as I've not had time to chrono the load.

Hunting thick woods, so the shot was on the short side at maybe 30-40 yards. Shot was place behind the shoulder and lower in the body. Field dressing the deer showed a double lung and heart shot.

The buck kicked like a mule at the bullet impact and ran about 30-40 yards and fell over. He left a good blood trail that wasn't needed as I saw him drop. The bullet passed completely thru the buck, leaving considerable spray on the ground where he was when the bullet impacted the rib cage. Blood trail was significant.

The Hornady 166 A-Tip seemed to work fine even at that close distance. However, I noticed the trauma to the lungs and heart wasn't quite as much as I expected, though the bullet did leave a gaping exit hole, even entrails hanging out. (It was a slight quartering shot, not severe).

Over all I was pleased. Seems I these long range rigs do fine even at short range. 😁
Got to shoot them where they show up i always say!!