28 nosler 195 berger RE33 testing

Since I posted that info 5 years ago I have switched to VV N570 for magnums. Its very stable for temperature. About .1 fps per degree compared to 1 fps per degree for RL 33. But honestly i havent built a 28 nosler in a year for customers. Everyone is wanting my 30-28 nosler or 300 norma improved. They have 75% less throat erosion and are way easier to keep in tune. With the 30-28 you simply run a .306 mandrel through the 28 nosler brass. Stuff 83 gr of h1000 into a 230 berger and it bugholes. Or 86.5 gr of h1000 and a 215 berger and it bugholes also. Both those loads have shot into the .1s moa wise out to 950 yds in my setup. My 230 load is probably the most accurate combo Ive seen. 83.2 gr of h1000 will hold under an inch of vertical at 580 yds. The last two groups I shot had 1/2 inch vertical at 580. 230 berger at 2965 fps. Ive switched to the 230 bergers though in my 30 cal setups since theyre a little more optimally seated in the case for my throat setup. Also the slightly lower velocity compared to the 215 berger is an advantage at closer ranges. The 300 Norma improved starts off where the 30-28 tops out at. The lapua brass for the norma is indestructible. I put 28 WARM firings ona single piece of brass and the primer pocket feels almost brand new. Very wide powder/velocity nodes in this cartridge. Not much recoil either with my self timing 5 port brake. I can watch the vapor trail and spot hits no problem in a 10 lb w optics 300 norma improved or 30-28 nosler. The 30 cal magnums have been so popular Ive just started keeping complete rifles instock ready to ship.

My next barrel will be a 30-28 from you without a doubt. In the mean time I've got another 300-400 rounds left in my 28. I couldn't get my hands on any nv570 so I've got enough RL33 to last the life of the barrel.

I have a question.... if my 28 shoots 3050 at 80 degree sea level. Will my gun be shooting roughly 3000~ at 15-30 degrees in November? Also if the node is 3040-3055 should I increase powder charge before hunt to stay in that node?

My next barrel will be a 30-28 from you without a doubt. In the mean time I've got another 300-400 rounds left in my 28. I couldn't get my hands on any nv570 so I've got enough RL33 to last the life of the barrel.

I have a question.... if my 28 shoots 3050 at 80 degree sea level. Will my gun be shooting roughly 3000~ at 15-30 degrees in November? Also if the node is 3040-3055 should I increase powder charge before hunt to stay in that node?

Your going to have to test that out yourself as far as temp stability and nodes go. Ive had mixed reviews on the temp stability of it. But itll probably be close to 3000 fps. Unfortunately I don't rebarrel rifles if I didn't build the rifle. I don't want my name on the side of a rifle if I didn't build the whole thing. Say I rebarrel a rifle but the stock work is terrible. Someone takes that rifle to the range and people see my name on the side, not worth it to me. Theres also too many things that need done for a rifle to shoot with benchrest accuracy consistently. Ignition work, a chamber thats cut 100% stress free, indicated in coaxially and perfect, and not oversized at all. Optics that are bedded to the rings. And several other things. Most of those things 99.9% of the gunsmiths out there are unaware of. Those are the reasons Ive decided to not rebarrel a rifle I didn't build. If a guy shoots out a barrel on a rifle I built the turnaround time is generally 4 weeks or less since parts are instock. Keeping a massive inventory has allowed me to cut my lead time on custom rifles to 6 weeks or less now. As well as keep several rifles instock and ready to ship most of the time. I have a couple package deals left at the moment also. Buy the rifle, optics, brass, dies, and everything else from me and get $500 off the total. Those are selling pretty quick.

I just read this thread for the first time from start to finish. You really had me convinced on building a 28 nosler throated long for a 195, and then you talked me out of that and changed my mind for a big 30 cal!

Anyone have load data for N570 and the 195 Berger's? I had mine throated for them so I got the freebore to get the bullet out of the casing

Anyone have load data for N570 and the 195 Berger's? I had mine throated for them so I got the freebore to get the bullet out of the casing
Mine starts to see pressure signs at 78.0 grns of n570. I have .280" freebore. Mine seems to show pressure signs way earlier than anyone else I've talked to. I'm still seeing 3140 fps in a 29" barrel though. And 1/4 moa accuracy out to 800 yds when its more calm and I do my part. 1/2 moa at 800 every day.

I've got no experience with N570 in a 28 but with my 30-28 570 runs real hot by that I mean barrel heat. Theres a huge difference shooting 3 rounds with H1000 then 3 rounds with 570.
I wouldnt be surprised if you toasted a 28 barrel in 500 rounds with 570 in a 28

I've got no experience with N570 in a 28 but with my 30-28 570 runs real hot by that I mean barrel heat. Theres a huge difference shooting 3 rounds with H1000 then 3 rounds with 570.
I wouldnt be surprised if you toasted a 28 barrel in 500 rounds with 570 in a 28
Well that sounds scary.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.