270WSM QuickLOAD - % Propellant Burnt Question

Japster06

Good day gentlemen.

I recently purchased a 270WSM and started playing around on QuickLOAD(QL) to try and determine which powder I would use for reloading. As a newcomer to QL I started experimenting (#evillaughter) with the 2 different powders from Somchem. As I am South African we are largely limited to Somchem powders. I am trying to decide weather S365 of the slower burning S385 would perform better in the 24" barrel with 1:10 twist.

I attached the 2 printouts that QL generated to give you an idea of the variables I used in this experiment. All of the variables are standard and I kept them constant in both tests, only changing between powders and charge. For the sake of the test I used 130gr Nosler Ballistic Tips.

What I noticed is that 100% of the S365 and 99,3% of the S385 burns out. I know this is very marginal but my question is the following. How important is it that 100% of the propellant is burnt, does it affect accuracy and Ballistic Efficiency?

And then while I have you attention, what would a typical good Ballistic Efficiency be? I noticed that I reach 26,3% and 24,8% with S365 and S385 respectively.

As a newcomer to both LongRangeHunting.com and QuickLOAD I look forward to learning from you experienced guys!​

Attachments

• QuickLOAD, 270WSM, 130gr Nosler BalTip, 62.06gr S365, Actual Screen Curve.pdf
    24 KB · Views: 275
  • QuickLOAD, 270WSM, 130gr Nosler BalTip, 65.25gr S385, Actual Screen Curve.pdf
    23.4 KB · Views: 176
There are 3 things I see that are less desirable about the loads;
-very low load density
-very high muzzle pressures
-light bullets for capacity

I notice the barrel is too short, and this is probably leading you towards all three.
It seems you're trying to get reasonable velocity through fast powder & light bullets despite the barrel -but in a cartridge too large for this.

I doubt you'll get much for accuracy with either of these loads.

Thanks for the reply Mark!

I am however not validating these particular loads. My question is merely about the % propellant burnt and what Ballistic Efficiency I should be aiming towards.

I appreciate the insight into these loads and will keep the comments in mind when I do eventually develop the first batch.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.