270WSM 169.5grn Wildcat range test

270WSM

Hello,
Finally got out yesterday to do some testing with Richard Graves 169.5grn (they say 168grn on the side, maybe eary version) RBBT in my 270WSM. I got the bullets from Richard almost a year ago. I was shooting them in my factory Win70 that's been bedded, trigger tuned, and the barrel floated.

* All of the following are 3 shot groups using Retumbo *
* Loaded .030" off the lands *

charge vel group ES NOTES
64.0 2657 1.1 6 Two shots touching
64.5 2675 .863 8
65.0 2711 .670 1 Two shots touching
65.5 2742 1.445 16 Two shots close
66.0 2755 .723 ?
66.5 2768 .612 21 Two shots = one hole

I was suprised how well they shot. I was hoping for 2800 fps, but my ES's were very low. I know I don't have enough data yet, but it seems like my ES's were growing as my charges increased. I liked the last group, but my last three charges didn't increase velocity very much.

I have seven bullets left. What would you do next? Try for 2800 fps? Load up one of the accurate loads with different seating depths (like the 65.0 grn load)? Try H1000 for a few loads? I need to order some at some point, but I was just curious on opinions.

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll just pick some up. Fun to play with. I wish I had the horsepower you and your AM have.

I've got a friend that is thinking of getting a 270 WSM. The one he is looking @ has a 1/11" twist. I want him to try some fo the 169.5s but I don't think he'll be able to stabilize them. I'll share your experiences w/him. I know he will appreciate it!!!

Try some 7828. My chrony said 2900 fps MV out of a 270 Win. but they wouldn't shoot real well. About 3" @ 200 yds.

Rather than waste the rest, I sent them to someone w/an AI. Haven't heard anything yet.

These were 168gr RBBT prototypes that I was messing with.

270WSM,

I think you've still got some room to go yet in that case. Comparing your 270 WSM to a 7mm WSM on Hodgdon's website, with a 168 grain bullet and Retumbo, 66 grains was their starting load at 2757 fps. I know that these aren't the same cartridge, but a very similar reference. They did get 2900 fps with Retumbo and a 70 grain compressed load. Pressure was still relatively low for a WSM at 58,500 psi.

Hey 270WSM dude Where do you get such brutes? I must have some for my 270WSM. I've produced 3,000 out of mine with Nosler 160gr pills.H1000 has been a producer with my rifle(Win Mod 70 Classic). Cowboys! No baby Its Raiders Nation ..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Cowboys! No baby Its Raiders Nation .....

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong Cowboys man. I'm talking about the Cowboys from Stillwater.

270WSM, You've reach the max for your powder used. When your ES & Sd start to open & you are not getting any incease in velocity, your powder has maxed out. You will have to go to a faster powder (it can go either way sometimes and occasionally need a slower powder). You have to just keep testing until your powder matches correctly with your case and bullet. Good luck.

Sounds like the perfect bullet to use to blow my head off after watching the last Lions game /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. I just had a new 270wsm built that I've only taken to the range once so far---2MG

[ QUOTE ]

Try some 7828. My chrony said 2900 fps MV out of a 270 Win. but they wouldn't shoot real well. About 3" @ 200 yds.

Rather than waste the rest, I sent them to someone w/an AI. Haven't heard anything yet.

These were 168gr RBBT prototypes that I was messing with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Roy you sent them to me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Now that racing and hunting season is over I can get on with the 169.5 grain testing. Out of my 270AI and 29 inch barrel I didn't have any problem getting 3000 fps with 7828 and sub 1 inch 5 shot groups. I'm going to work on the powders 7828, H-1000 and R-25. I use CCI250 mag primers. My cases can hold @67 grains max. I've been using @62 gr. of 7828

169.5 WildCats VLD 150 moly coated

170gr.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
Roy you sent them to me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Didn't know whether to mention that or not. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Don't know who's touchy about what.

It only took a few shots to realize that the 270 win is just too small for that bullet and I spend no further effort trying to get them to shoot better. 3" @ 200 yds is good enough for some, but not me.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts