.270win. Striker?

Discussion in 'Specialty Handgun Hunting' started by Rupe, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Rupe

Rupe Well-Known Member

I have the opportunity to pick up a Savage .270 Win. take off barrel and was wondering if it can be used on a Striker? I know it is a long action and my striker is a short, but was also wondering.if it.can be loaded one at a time and if the empty cases would eject or not? What bolt head would I need? I would be cutting the.barrel down to, but not sure what length I'll cut.it yet.
    Right now I have.both a .308win. and a .243win barrels for it.
    I tried the search function but no luck, Can anyone help with the answers to these question or should I forget it??
    Thanks for your time!
    Rupe

2. tyler.woodard04

tyler.woodard04 Well-Known Member

I think that it will eject a fired round yes. I want to say Ive tried it in the past. as for the bolt yours will work

3. Rupe

Rupe Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. So the bolt face doesn't need to be changed from the .308 family of .473"
    That's cool! Thanks again!

Anyone have a Striker in .270win. How do you like it and what barrel length did you have? Any other info. would be appreciated.
    Rupe

4. tinkerer

tinkerer Well-Known Member

Rupe,

Saw one advertised a month ot 2 ago. He had a 20" rifle barrel.

I just started a build with the 30-06 family in 270, 25-06 and 30-06 in 18" barrel length.

I worried about ejection, but feel better now.

Lets us see your results. Should be a good round in the Striker as I would feel it on a par with the 270 WSM.

Larry
    Tinkerer

5. Rupe

Rupe Well-Known Member

Tinkerer, I will do.so.if I.can grab.it. I have.to wait til pay day which isn't til the 1st of Nov. to buy it. I am hoping no one beats me to it.
    I was thinking that it might be in line with the 270wsm. but alot cheaper to shoot!
    I will post my results if it all comes together.
    Good luck on your build Larry should be a "Kick" to shoot the '06 in a Striker.:D
    Thanks
    Rupe

6. MachV

MachV Well-Known Member

Not a 270 but its momma the 30-06

[​IMG]

Used it with 180 grainers 2 years ago for deer and goats past between 400-500 yards. The unit came from the factory as a 22-250 that didn't shoot very well so I cut down 243 and 30-06 rifle barrels. The 243 barrel is a shooter but prefer a little more power the 06 provides. The recoil is not bad as long as you don't bend your elbow but am planning on putting breaks or suppressors on both barrels!!

7. Rupe

Rupe Well-Known Member

MachV so you had no problema ejecting the spent brass then I take it?
    Rupe

8. MachV

MachV Well-Known Member

A spent round flips right outs there. Even my loaded rounds come out, I seated them a little deep:D

9. Rupe

Rupe Well-Known Member

Cool! Thanks for the info. That was my only concern shooting the longer cases in my Striker.
    Now come on Payday!:)
    Rupe

10. Rupe

Rupe Well-Known Member

OK I got the .270win. barrel, now to cut it down. I was thinking 16.5" anyone have.any thoughts on barrel length and why? Need some help on this before I start hacking on it.
    Thanks
    Rupe

11. tinkerer

tinkerer Well-Known Member

I cut and crowned all my 06 family of barrels at 18" so there's a little more barrel for powder burn. As he said, kick a little more than usual.

Just me.

Larry
    Tinkerer

12. Rupe

Rupe Well-Known Member

Thanks Larry, maybe I'll cut at 17 and 15/16's just to be different.:) 18" is getting out there aways but I would like to have some fps behind it. I'll have to think about it. The hogdgon has loads for 15" pistols. I was kind of going off of them. But 15" didn't have the fps I'm looking for. 17.5 to 18 would pick it up a bit. Time to think!
    Thanks
    Rupe

13. MachV

MachV Well-Known Member

The measurement that really makes a difference is 16"=It aint a rifle barrel any more if you cut it less than 16":D

14. Rupe

Rupe Well-Known Member

Yep your right, but who wanta a rifle barrel on their handgun that is 22" long? :D That would be to clumsy for walking around while coyote hunting. IMO.