270 Wsm

I've loaded up some Berger 150's with 70gr of Retumbo and I thought that was compressed. That's with an oal of 2.845 in Remmy brass.

Bigngreen, what brass are you using? Custom barrel?I've got a weatherby vanguard and I don't think I could squeeze another .010 out of it in oal. If I remember right when I was trying to stretch out the length on my bergers when I got to 2.855 out of the press and then chambered them it was pushing them back into the case. I know you were talking 140's but wow I don't think there's a chance I could get to 2.890 with my bumper jack.

Having not seen or used the magpro is it a smaller stick?

Last edited:
roundss,
I'm shooting off the shelf Savage model 12, 26" heavy barrel. I am also using Remington brass, my load just starts to compress @ 71gr and I think I can get to 72gr, I fit it in but caught it before I seated a bullet. The powder will fit, I have to shake it in @ the top of the powder funnel so it will settle in or I use a drop tube, it's amazing how much a drop tube will settle things in. I can go out to 2.95'ish and still cycle, the AccuBonds are on the lands @ 2.90.

roundss,
I'm shooting off the shelf Savage model 12, 26" heavy barrel. I am also using Remington brass, my load just starts to compress @ 71gr and I think I can get to 72gr, I fit it in but caught it before I seated a bullet. The powder will fit, I have to shake it in @ the top of the powder funnel so it will settle in or I use a drop tube, it's amazing how much a drop tube will settle things in. I can go out to 2.95'ish and still cycle, the AccuBonds are on the lands @ 2.90.

If that's Retumbo your using Your load is 11 grs above listed max in the new Nosler Manual !!!!

I use a drop tube, it's amazing how much a drop tube will settle things in. I can go out to 2.95'ish and still cycle, the AccuBonds are on the lands @ 2.90.

I haven't used a tube, I'll have to give that a shot.

I'm still amazed at the overall length. That must be a long throat on that because everything I come up with shows the max oal for 270wsm is 2.860. Do you have any issues with seating smaller grain bullets and getting them to the lands?
Sounds like it would be like throwing a hotdog down a hallway..........knew a girl like that in high school but that's a whole 'nother story.

Well, I got my hands on some magpro. I see how you could fill 'er up with this stuff, it's tiny. Reminds me of x-terminator. My local Sportsman's Warehouse get their powder in again tomorrow so maybe there will be more to be had.

The Retumbo data I used came off Hodgdon's website. It lists the max at 70.0 gr C with 3071 fps and psi at 63,000.

I got 72g in the case by mistake, I bumped it up one grain when lifting the previous charge, I'm kinda spastic some days. I caught it when I went to seat the bullet so none were shot. I may bump it up by 1/10 from here as I don't have bad pressure signs.
I rechecked the Hodgdon data and with the 140gr bullet 71 is max on Rutumbo, it is just full if I drop tube, with little or no compression with the AccuBond, the Sierra 140 game kings I have to seat deeper because of the profile and they compress more.
The way the gun is seems about perfect, I can get the bullets out of the case but still cylce through the magazine. That being said I have only shot 140gr bullets I may not get to the lands with smaller projectiles.
I haven't had consistant access to a crony so not all my loads have been checked, only the interesting ones and I only post the ones that are. My dad will have one here from Midway Friday so I'll be good to go, it bugs the heck out of me not to know speeds.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.