270 WSM Question

Glock119

Which Rem action/cal would make for the easest swap over to a 270 WSM (in regurds to bolt face-action lenght)? Ya know what, while I'm asking how about the 7mm WSM and the 300 WSM?

Thanks for your input.
Ben

Any of the new Rem 700's chambered in a WSM round. Long actions will allow for greater performance at the expense of feeding problems. Check with Chris @GA Precision. He can fill in all the details much better.

Stephen

In a short action one of the saum will work. In a long action any one of the rums will do. You will not need to open up any feed rails with these.

The short action will work, but the long actions you can seat the bullets out as long as needed for use in a mag.

shadowman,
Remington manufacture three 700 models in 270WSM and 300WSM calbres, which would be the ideal basis for a custom re-barrelling. Check the link:

:http://www.remington.com/firearms/centerfire/cf_calibers.htm

If you plan to use the mag box you will be limited to the size of bullet you can use with the factory WSM action.
You can go for a long action with a magnum boltface or you can use any long action and have bolt face opened out.

This will enable you to take advantage of all bullets lengths avalable.
If you take the above route, modifications will have be carried out to the action to ensure reliable feeding from the mag box.

Ian.

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

Shadowman
My 300 WSM started life as a 22-250 If you are going with the stock extractor any WSM. With a badger or Sako extractor small bolt face is fine it just gets cut to size.
My choice (for hunting) was the 3oo with 175smks next a 7mm with 162's or 175 smks .

Well, I thought I posted this earlier, but must have messed it up. Thanks for answering such a stupid question. I didn't realize that Rem was making any of the WSM as of yet. I thought they were still only doing their SAUM. But again thanks to all.

IAN how limited is limited with using a WSM action and what mods are required for a long action to be used. Thanks.

Ben

Hi shadowman,
Let me re-phrase limited, Lets take for example 300WSM and i think it will also apply to long for calibre 270 and 7mm bullets.
If you are prepared to sacrifice powder space in order to deep seat 200grn+ bullets then okay, It is recommended that bullets up to 180grn are used in order to utilise the full powder capacity of the case without having to resort to deep seating the bullet, in order to aid cycling from the mag box.

If you are prepared to use your rifle single shot then you can seat your heavy bullets as far out as your throat will allow.
The use of a long action with a magnum boltface will allow you, with modifications to the feed rails and the mag box, to use 240 SMKs (with the correct twist)in repeater mode.

Another alternative is to use an UltraMag action, as the RUM is almost the same diameter as the WSM except about 3/4" longer. A mag box filler block modification would aid in proper feeding from the mag.
The other advantage of this route is that if you feel the
need for more power you have a ready platform to upgrade to a longer cartridge.

Ian.

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.