270 WSM info needed

AtownBcat

Hey guys my brother-in-law picked up a weatherby 270WSM. I don't know a thing about this rifle or caliber. I'm going to help him try a few handloads so any direction would be great. Also any tricks as far as the gun itself I have never owned a weatherby but have heard/read some good things and not so good so again any input. It is a bone stock rifle so it probably needs bedded and trigger work. thanks

I love the 270 wsm .... I have handloaded for three different rifles in 270 WSM'S...
Mag Pro powder has proven to out perform all other powders..(for me)
Very accurate round... low ES an SD's.
As far as the Vanguard don't have alot of experience, but I like the action and the triggers felt ok for a hunting rifle...
I don't think your friend will regret his purchase..
:)

I've only heard good about the 270 WSM. And both the Vanguard and Mark V are good rifles. If its a Mark V I doubt that trigger work will be needed, the factory triggers are quite good. Bed it and have fun.

The Hodgdon reloading page is good place to start. About the best bullets are the 115 HPBT for varminting with one of the 4350 powders LR primer and 150 SBT's with REL-22 or IMR 7828 with LR mag primers.

I used to shoot .277 cal 110 spbt's but I can't find them anymore

I haven't really stretched the legs on mine, but at moderate ranges RL 22 and Fed 215 mag primers with 140 gr accubonds have been a good combo. I Have not had good luck working up a load with 150 gr VLD's, but that is pretty common, they take some time to get the load right.

Get a FL sizing die, I FL size my brass after every firing for this round.

I have a Vangard 270WSM with Timney trigger. It routinely shoots SUB MOA @ 1000yds for three rounds from a cold bore. If wind conditions are good, it is usually a 7 inch group with only a 2-4 inch vertical dispersion. This is a hunting rifle and three consistent shots is all I am after. If I can't get it done in three, I need to kick myself in the *** for taking the shot in the first place, and get back on the practice range.

150 Berger
Norma brass
RL22
Fed 215M
3150 FPS

I am in the process of testing Retumbo and H1000 for better temp stability and using Federal 210M for even lower ES. Both are performing very well in my 270WSM and I am getting an easy 3200FPS with both powders.

The Vangards magazine is very generous and I can load the big Bergers into the lands and still fit the mag. However, both my 270WSM and 300WSM have performed best with some jump to the lands using the Bergers. My 7Mag likes the 180 Berger into the lands. Other bullets shot great in my rifle and produced great groups right out of the chute with no fuss.

The big Bergers are the last bullet I would choose to shoot small groups at the 100yd line using an off the shelf sporter weight hunting rifle. My 100yd groups with the big Bergers are most times unimpressive. But with some tuning and testing, the Bergers can really connect at long range.

Thanks for the info guys. Is the accurate line of powders temp stable or is it more like the "R" series of powder? I will probably tackle the 150g bergers because he plans on using this for game up to elk.

Last edited:
I would develop loads with H4831 or H4350 and 130g Accubond or Interbonds and 150g Partitions first. They will kill anything out to 600+yards.

The Bergers would come after that. They are usually a little more difficult to find a good load for.

The H series powders are not temperature sensitive. R17 is supposed to be not temp sensitive and may be a good one.

http://www.hodgdon.com/smokeless/extreme/page2.php#top

I recently purchased a win mod 70 and had a b&c medallist stock with pillars, block and glass bedded also did the jp trigger and now in for a break. I love this gun! Before the break I was pulling .4 inch 3 shot at a hundred. I have just been waiting to get it back with the break to shoot it some more. I have the Zeiss 6.5-20x50 on it and when I get time to shoot it through the crono I am gonna have kenton ind build the turrets for it. I am shooting the hornady sst's thru it and they are working great!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.