270 wsm help

Lab rat

So I have a question for all of the gun/ballistic gurus I'm currently shooting a Tikka 270wsm with 24"barrel and 140 accubonds my velocity is 3200 fps if I replace my barrel and go to a 26" and shoot a 150 accubonds will I loose velocity or will it stay the same the powder is RL-26….69 gr

Hard to say until you actually try it for sure. However, my experience is each inch of barrel adds about 20-30fps in muzzle velocity and every 1gr of the same constructed and designed bullet is about 10fps. So bumping up 10fps in bullet will set you back roughly 100fps and adding 2" more barrel will gain you back 40-60fps. I'm not sure what your goals are or why matching the velocity is important.

It'll be close. You'll gain maybe 80-100 fps with the extra length and lose around 120 going to the heavier bullet

^^^^^^^ Above
You already have a very good setup in 270 WSM with a 24" barrel shooting 140gr AB @3,200fps. You can shoot any Big Game in North America and Africa Plains Game. AND at distance. The 270 WSM is very effect even with 130 gr. Jill shoots 130 ABs in her 270 WSM and it can SLAM Deer/ Elk.
Like Jud96 said what is your goal?
Depending on the Game you are hunting I suspect you want a 150gr for something BIG, but you might just change from an AB to a different bullet in the same 140gr range.

i have a tikka 270 wsm that is use 140 ab's for years my question is i can't find any ab's any where so i'm looking around for another round is the vld eldx cx or hammer hunter just as good as the ab up to say 6 houndred yards on deer and elk. my other question is can the 130 grn in those bullets be just as good at that distance
thanks

I wouldn't go to a 150 AB. They are good but have long bearing surface and virtually the same BC as the 140 AB , my biggest whitetail and biggest elk died that to your exact same combination , tikka 270 wsm with 140 accubonds. It's a amazing combo.

The 140 Berger is superior in the 270 WSM in every way to the AB especially when reaching further.

Your going to be close to the same velocities with the different barrels, should be in the he 3200 fps range with Retumbo, if you rebarrel you can use a lot more throat and really gain!!

i'll stick with my 140 ab in the near future when i need a new barrel would you go to a 1-8 inch or 1-7 1/2 for shooting the 170 eld. how would that compare to the 6.8 western with same barrel length
thanks for all the help

If you are going to re-barrel I would consider a different twist as well. I would consider keeping it at 24" though.
I have a Tikka action with a 26" 1:8 twist barrel in 270WSM. I had the barrel throated to where I could take advantage of the longer action for the 170gr EOL. I get 3080fps with Reloader 26.
I have been considering having the barrel cut back to 24". The rifle is a little nose heavy as it sits now and when I carry the rifle with the shoulder sling the barrel tends to slide backwards due to the weight. I think it would balance a little better at 24".