270 WSM case neck problem

earl1704

Annealed my 270 WSM brass for the first time, when I run the brass through a full size RCBS die I get groves evenly spaced all around the outside neck area. I can run my finger nail around the neck and can feel (as well as see) the groves or ridges. They are vertical and evenly spaced from the mouth to the shoulder. I would think to do this would require a "pattern" inside the FL die but I have used this die before and never had this happen before. Does anyone know what would cause this or if the annealing had anything to do with it? Is it a problem or just different? I have taken the FL die apart and cleaned it, moved the de-capping pin up and down a bit and still have no change.
Earl1704

Thanks Joe you are right, after your comment I got to thinking maybe its something in the die I couldent see and called RCBS, they said yep its called galling which is where some of the brass rubs off in the die. With each sucessive case more and more brass rubs off and sticks to the die. I sent it in and they said they would polish it up. RCBS also said it happens because we (I) dont lube the neck when resizing. Well......I lube the necks........... now.lightbulb

your welcome :)

I'm betting folks will have issues with this, but I don't wipe of the case neck either before I size it. Every time I've sized a clean case case neck I've noticed marking, but these case where also freshly annealed so take for what it's worth to you.

I've noticed this before even when I do lube the outside of the neck. You can take the die apart and polish it using a properly sized bore brush wrapped with a patch and some polishing paste. I use Iosso Bore Cleaning ans Polishing paste.

Good luck,
Bruce

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.