270 WSM brass and load data

Like I posted start out with what seating depth fits in magazine well.(Its possible that could be to long,if so seat it to what book list) Slow burning powders are a must ,I wouldn't use anything faster then H4350 or Re#17.

Last edited:
I went with CCI LRM primers, IMR 4350, 130gr Accubonds, COL to factory length of the Winchester Ballistic Tip loads. I use Norma brass and Redding dies. The Winchester model 70 Super grade requires a partial full length resize for consistent feeding. These loads are 1/2 MOA at 100 yards. I am towards the top of Nosler load data for IMR 4350 and match the factory speeds of the Winchester Ballistic Tips. R19 was peaky, and R22 never got up to speed.

I have been loading 130 accubonds in winchester brass with 65.5 grains of reloader 19. This load shoots at 3158 with an extreme spread of 7 fps. I have not done a lot of LR hunting, but i plugged a coyote with this load a week ago at 721yds. This isnt the fastest load in the books but has been very accurate in all three of the 270 wsm's I owne.

It actually did better thana I thought! I was shoot ing from the top of a hill and the coyote was down in a draw across a pasture. It hit the coyote low in the chest and exited about the size of a qaurter about two inches above the tail he was sitting facing towards me. I have to say I was addicted to LR hunting after that! Watching the bullet hit after the crosshairs have sttled from the recoil was awsome!

Very good info on the 270 wsm, thanks! This forum has a pile of good info for people like me just starting out on long range shooting.

I settled on Win brass, Fed215 primers, and IMR4350 with 62.5 grains using 140 Accubonds and Ballisic Tips. Groups with both in the .25-.5 MOA range with my Wnchester Supergrade Velocities run around 3200FPS with tight spreads. I have had issues with temp sensitivity with the Reloader powders.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.