270 Winchester Ackley Improved Load Data

270 Winchester Ackley Improved

Can anyone Help me on Load Data on the .270 Win Ackley Improve? There is not a lot of information out there about this wildcat. I plan on shooting 110,130, 140, 150 Bullet

I understand that the thread is old but just in case you could still use the information ... at least as a baseline. Mine is primarily built to shoot the 165/175 Matrix VLDs or similar bullets, but I've shot the 150 NBTs while fire-forming.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/my-budget-270-ai-97745/index3.html

Good luck!

Ed

Last edited:
And some day Nosler and Remingtion and Saami may get together and make the 270 Ackley a standard cartridge and shorten the case .014 just to mess with the people that have the old Ackley chamber LOL:)

And some day Nosler and Remingtion and Saami may get together and make the 270 Ackley a standard cartridge and shorten the case .014 just to mess with the people that have the old Ackley chamber LOL:)

finish-02-look-down.gif

Frankly my dear I don't give a ****.

I have been playing around with Ackley cartridges for the last 20 years chronographing both Ackley loads and the parent case loads. Ackley commented that the 22-250 AI and the 25-06 AI along with many others were not worth pursuing but these are cartridges that I own, with today's modern slower burning powders both of these cartridges will achieve velocity increases of around 200 ft per second over the parent case using the same components. Pressure levels have remained in the vicinity of normal pressures. The big problem with these cases is that often the usual pressure signs do not show until it is almost too late.

What I can't understand is how badly the 270 improved is trashed, by people who don't own them, and the 280 AI is lauded.

They should be nearly identical. The 270 win has had a slight edge over the 280 with 140gr. The increase in performance according to some sources by making a 270 improved is 7.8%, the 280's improvement in performance is rated at 7.7%.

So how can one be a piece of crap and the other the best thing since sliced bread?

I understand there are heavier bullet choices in the 7mm, but as for shooting Nosler accubonds or ballistic tips, the bullets are too similar to differentiate.

It seems the people with them love them, and I think I am going to give it a try. IMR 7828 and a few others have breathed new life into the "overbore category", and I think the debate isn't over. So I'll spend a few dollars to make a fool of myself.

My current load in the 270 win with a 26" Douglas Airguage bbl, runs the 140gr nosler ballistic tip out the barrel at 3200fps with 60 gr of H4831. A hot load, but not rediculous. Use at your own risk. The same load will hold 3012 fps with a 22" barrel. I think the inclusion of a few more grains of powder-in a more effecient burning cartridge AND the 26" barrel will be a really cool long range weapon.
Look at Nosler's new product announcement from yesterday. They are now making a 165 grain ABLR in 270. This is a game changer.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.