270 win & H4350

I second Reloader222's note - my .270's all have 22 inch barrels 'cause they're huntin' guns - and I believe that's one reason why 55 of H4350 works so well for me. Regarding previous posts - be sure to try shorter jumps before you stop accuracy testing. My guns generally shoot .050 off lands best with 130 TTSX's, but .040 and .030 are darn near as good, and even a change of .005 can make a huge difference in some guns, mostly with fliers. I believe it's a mistake to settle on 5-shot groups with 4 touching and one flier; I'd rather go with a little bigger group with no fliers because most of my shots are between 300 and 500 yards with .270s and, luck 'o the Irish, I'm certain that my one shot at the B&C would be the flier.

I've used both 4831s. I recently switched to Ramshot's Hunter and Big Game, still working on the loads. I like the way it burns, meters, etc. I've heard that Ramshot makes good velocity with great accuracy. I get good accuracy, don't have a crony, so can't say my fps.

I've used both 4831s. I recently switched to Ramshot's Hunter and Big Game, still working on the loads. I like the way it burns, meters, etc. I've heard that Ramshot makes good velocity with great accuracy. I get good accuracy, don't have a crony, so can't say my fps.

I really need to try out some Ramshot Hunter for the 270 win and 30-06. Seems like a lot of great results using this powder.

I've spent a lot time the past few months comparing H 4350 and RL 22 and IMR 4350 in my 270. Also have been comparing TSX and NOS Accubond, both in 130 gr.

For my gun in have settled on 60.0 gr RL 22 and the Barnes TSX. I can consistnely shoot below 1/2 MOA with first shot cold barrel cold barrel.

My Chrony tells me slightly above 3,100 fps.

My guess is that the answer is likely to be quite differnet for different guns.

The only question I have is that it seems the RL 22 may be pretty temperature sensitive genreating higher velocities when it is hot outside---need to do more testing next spring on that.

I use Win cases, Federal 210 Primers and 63 grains of H-1000 behind a 140 grain TSX for 3140 FPS out of a 29 inch barrel

H-1000 is a very good poeder for the 270 win. H-4831 is the all time classic powder for the 270 win

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.