270 win & h1000

Here is what hogdon has to say about compressed loads. Im finding this to be very true.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-04-23-06-07-41.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-04-23-06-07-41.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 357
This is my 3rd .270 and my least accurate, could be me, getting older but that's better than the alternative, or maybe this rifle. The first 2 were tack drivers and my kids still shoot and love them. I'll just keep playing and more than likely I'll find the combination it likes. I'll get back out shooting as soon as wind lays down a bit. Hooking about 25 knots and that takes the fun out of it for me. Thanks again for the info.

The wind finally laid down enough to shoot.
Found a load of 63 gr/H1000/200CCI primer/130gr. Speer boat tail/Molyed in a new Win. case that I neck sized to .004 under shot an average 2990 fps into a 3/4" raged hole @ 100 yds.
Tried a Magnum/250CCI in all compression loads, gained an average 30fps on all loads with the accuracy staying same until I went over 63 gr. with either primer the groups opened to 5" so I unloaded the hotter loads. No sign of over pressure on any load as far as I went. Anything over 3000fps was not accurate and the quicker it went the worse it got.
Need to try neck sized fired cases and play again. It's been raining now for two days but I'll take that over the wind.

Thanks again for all the advise.

The wind finally laid down enough to shoot.
Found a load of 63 gr/H1000/200CCI primer/130gr. Speer boat tail/Molyed in a new Win. case that I neck sized to .004 under shot an average 2990 fps into a 3/4" raged hole @ 100 yds.
Tried a Magnum/250CCI in all compression loads, gained an average 30fps on all loads with the accuracy staying same until I went over 63 gr. with either primer the groups opened to 5" so I unloaded the hotter loads. No sign of over pressure on any load as far as I went. Anything over 3000fps was not accurate and the quicker it went the worse it got.
Need to try neck sized fired cases and play again. It's been raining now for two days but I'll take that over the wind.

Thanks again for all the advise.
drop you a federal 210 in there and see if that want cut that group in half. I worked a load with new norma brass using a fed210, imr 4831. 55 gr. ,2930 fps was the sweet spot. As usual . Es was 14 fps, sd 7 fps. Shot .3 or less. The bullet is a sierra gameking SBT130gr. Sweet load. 1300fps at a 1000 yrds. Shoots tighter than a tick on a dog! The norma brass has to much volume for the h1000. Cant hit the sweet spot without being right at book max. I dont like to run that close to max. Works good with rem and frontier brass. 1 gr. Off max is usually gonna give you the tightest groupings. I never had any luck past that.

The fed 210 will give more consistant ignition with the slow burners. You need all the fire in the hole you can get. A little extra neck tension also. Hold the bullet as long as possible.

Hey high cotton, Did you get any useful information on using h1000 in your 270? I like a full case!
I'm aware this is an old dead thread, but I wanted to throw In here just in case someone comes looking. I load 140 gr hornady interlock sp and sometimes sst over 62.5 gr of h1000. Averages about 2800 fps. My rifle shoots ragged holes with this load. I tried it out of desperation and stumbled on something good. 63 is compressed so yes the case is full.

I have two Rem 700s,

58g of H4831
win brass-FL sized
CCI 250(best primer for accuracy)
140g Nosler ballistic tip .003 off the lands shoots sub 3/8" groups at 100 yards in both rifles.

With H1000, Humm.....never tried it.