270 Win For Long Range Shooting

Derek-make us drool! What is the biggest mulie spread you have to your credit, and what is the biggest estimated spread you have seen in the wild? And where was it-just in general of course-you still plan to harvest him some day. Sounds like you really get around-building contractor, perhaps?

Derek-make us drool! What is the biggest mulie spread you have to your credit, and what is the biggest estimated spread you have seen in the wild? And where was it-just in general of course-you still plan to harvest him some day. Sounds like you really get around-building contractor, perhaps?

My biggest buck, killed with that 270 I gave to Adam in 2007:

2007Coloradomuledeer2.jpg

Biggest buck I've seen was in Colorado, probably a 30" wide or just over 225 class buck 5x5.

One of my black bears from British Columbia:

BCbear2.jpg

The TX pronghorn back from the taxidermist:

Texaspronghorn2.jpg

My big mulie on the wall:

100_0262.jpg

Wyoming pronghorn, 7mag, 150 Btips, 330 yards, stoned him:

2006WYantelopeDerek1.jpg

The 7mag load:

7mm150NBTIMR4831630grains003.jpg

At the salt:

bulls1.jpg

bucks.jpg

blacky.jpg

Missouri whitetail, 270 kill of course:

wyomingkansascolorado002.jpg

small mulie from CO: 300 RUM, 200 AB, Re25:

2005ColoradoMulie003.jpg

7mag pronghorn and muzzleloader pronghorn at 200 yards:

antelope.jpg

270 was my first ever. Bought it along with a Taurus 9mm when I was young and skinny.

I have 2 custom 270s in the safe and another that should arrive any day now and a 4th in process while waiting on another McMillan stock.

I'll kill a lot of game with them all. It's a perfect deer rifle.
My first few deer were with a 700 chambered in .270 Win. That rifle was my dad's and he eventually traded it off, and I had a Winchester 70 that I regretfully traded off last year. I'm wanting another .270 and the Dakota family caught my attention a while back.

nope.

you may see some freaks on my buddy's website though: Black Timber Outfitters

Yeah, I saw the freak toad mule deer so fat he could hardly walk. Beautiful black and white face on that guy and he looks so out of place in that scrub country-how he got that healthy is amazing-must be a clover field nearby. He looks like he should be standing in a foot of snow. Glad they passed on him - he's too magnificent to shoot - maybe next year his rack will fit him. Would you say 4-5 year old?

I cant call myself a long range hunter. 450y is an extreme shot for me, and only if cannot get closer. Having said that I am using a sporter weight rifle, and at best the only rest I can get is off a tree or over a log.

The 270 with the 150g SST will do all I need for that purpose, handloaded to a bit over 2900fps its mild and accurate, and very deadly.

Great read! Thanks for sharing your hunt AND the performance of the "new" 165s and barrel. I spent a couple of years hunting the Cascades and the pictures and description of the area brought back fond memories. Likewise, I've always been a fan of the .270 Win. It was my first centerfire rifle and it does my heart good to hear that it's being recognized as a viable choice even after almost 100 years. Thanks!!

love your article, i am currently build a custom 270win now on a rem 700 action. What mag. are you using on the AI stock or did you covert the mags to feed for 300win to 270 win?

Just so happens, the rifles I own are .223 Rem, .270, 30.06, 7mm Rem Mag, and 8X57 JS.
I live In Texas-no public hunting and leases are pathetically over priced.
Off off the 270 topic but your comment caught my eye...

I have been interested in hunting in Texas for some time because I have relatives there and I hear a lot about hunting from folks down there.
but I have spent a fair amount of time combing the web, and talking to friends / family members in Texas, and despite all the raging stories of Texas hunting glories, I always arrive at the conclusion you have stated above. You need to have Texas oil money (or land) to hunt in Texas. All this bruhaha about too many hogs, and lots of deer in Texas, but they're all on private land! And a lot of it is fenced. And leases...is everyone in Tx who hunts rich? How does a "regular guy" ever get to hunt down there? What happened to the "home of the free"? Is it only free if you already paid??

We have plenty of hunting clubs and ranches out here in Calif, but there are also millions of acres of public land on which it is legal to hunt. There you can find lots of deer, but few wild pigs. (< 6% of those harvested and reported) Unfortunately, the hogs seem to like to stay on private land where they're well fed. The farmers supposedly don't like it, and neither do the public land hunters!

And yes, I would shoot a deer at 500 yards with a 270 under the right conditions. I'm about to buy another one...most likely the Vanguard S2.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.