270 win for long range hunting?

what do you call long range.500 yes for me.but after that I 'm not for it.rather has a 30 cal of some sort.better range better bullets with better B.C. even better knock down for me.but hey just my opinion.

We've been using the 270 win out to around 500yrds ish but this year we've loaded some 165 Matrix and it takes us out a lot farther. We haven't finalized any load but we're looking at 800yrds plus with 1800 fps + and over 1200 ft lbs of energy. I've been using a 270 WSM for a little more sauce and it is outstanding, who needs a 6.5 or 7mm when we have the 270 loaded with decent bullets :D

Royinidaho is a 270 nut and he's got a bullet project going that shows a lot of promise for higher BC bullets.

Everybody should have a 308, 270, and/or 30-06 in their arsenal.

As for long range hunting, that 270 by MCR is an excellent example of breathing new life into an old standby cartridge.

With the 150 VLD or possibly the 165 Matrix, I think the 270 Win is a bonified long range hunter at least by some definition.

It may not be the cartridge of choice to go after elk at 1k or for f-class competition. But for whietails, I don't think it gets much better.

I am currently blueprinting a Mauser 98 in 270 Win that I expect to be good for 600+/- yds on whitetails which is about the longest shot we can expect on our property.

My son did a bang flop on a buck with it a year ago at 300 yds with a 40yo barrel and 130 VLD which got me to thinking about tuning it up to see what it could do.

The ballistics for hitting paper and steel should be good out to 1k. But, ranging deer and dealing with hunting conditions at that distance is probably beyond my skill level for now with any rifle. So, terminal performance becomes moot.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
-- richard

We've been using the 270 win out to around 500yrds ish but this year we've loaded some 165 Matrix and it takes us out a lot farther. We haven't finalized any load but we're looking at 800yrds plus with 1800 fps + and over 1200 ft lbs of energy. I've been using a 270 WSM for a little more sauce and it is outstanding, who needs a 6.5 or 7mm when we have the 270 loaded with decent bullets :D

Royinidaho is a 270 nut and he's got a bullet project going that shows a lot of promise for higher BC bullets.

been playing with 150 grain bullets in my 270mag off and on for awhile now, and never knew anyone made a 165 grain .277" bullet! (had my blinders on I guess). Whatkind of velocities are you seeing at the muzzel and 250 yards? Also what's the B/C of the 165 grain bullet? The 270 mag seems to drive the 140's and smaller too fast for the bullet construction in my book.
gary

been playing with 150 grain bullets in my 270mag off and on for awhile now, and never knew anyone made a 165 grain .277" bullet! (had my blinders on I guess). Whatkind of velocities are you seeing at the muzzel and 250 yards? Also what's the B/C of the 165 grain bullet? The 270 mag seems to drive the 140's and smaller too fast for the bullet construction in my book.
gary

Read the entire thread...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/italian-screw-machine-nears-completion-71398/

gary

Matrix Ballistics has a 165gr VLD with around a .650ish BC and a 175gr VLD that sounds like it's around .700 BC. I've been running the 165's out of a 1-10 twist 270 WSM and my buddy has a 270 win, both guns really like them. I can easily shoot them 3050's with my WSM and around 2750 with the Win though we topped out about 100fps faster with each. I've shot quite a few sub 1/2 MOA groups quite aways out there with the WSM but the barrel is out for Nitriding so I haven't gotten to serious with it. Just starting with the Win but in a couple tests the Matrix was just unreal in the accuracy, much better than the 140 Bergers or Accubonds and the Matrix seems real easy going to load unlike the Bergers.

Matrix Ballistics has a 165gr VLD with around a .650ish BC and a 175gr VLD that sounds like it's around .700 BC. I've been running the 165's out of a 1-10 twist 270 WSM and my buddy has a 270 win, both guns really like them. I can easily shoot them 3050's with my WSM and around 2750 with the Win though we topped out about 100fps faster with each. I've shot quite a few sub 1/2 MOA groups quite aways out there with the WSM but the barrel is out for Nitriding so I haven't gotten to serious with it. Just starting with the Win but in a couple tests the Matrix was just unreal in the accuracy, much better than the 140 Bergers or Accubonds and the Matrix seems real easy going to load unlike the Bergers.

I checked the barrel on mt MK. V and it's a 1:10 twist barrel. Kinda figure the bullet is pretty long, and with the Weatherby there's plenty of room for it <g>! I've always felt the overbore case capacity of the .270mag needed a real heavy bullet to gain any serious use out of it.

Your thoughts on the Berger bullets tend to parallel mine as well. When you got a load that works it's amazing. The hardest ones I ever worked with were their 69 grain LD's. I finally gave them away, and the guy I gave them to uses them for a paper weight. The 88's were not a lot better, but at least they worked.

Suggest you back off on your normal loads on the barrel you sent out for nitride. In the past I've had metal shrink a few tenths, and on the opposite I've had some alloys actually grown as much as nine tenths. A half thousandth smaller bore would be very interesting with a near max load! I started to notice this with the new gas furnaces a few years back, but never saw it with the older ones. Wierd! Did you do the complete barrel, or just the I.D.? A complete barrel should increase the rigidity a little bit
gary

I have shot deer out to 750 with my 270wsm with the 140 accubonds at 3250 fps, and believe it or not elk at 800 yrds, at that distance I should have about 1000 lbs of energy, my buddy shot a deer at 720 yrds with his trusty old 270 win 140 accubond 2950 fps both deer droped were they stood and the elk went about 30 yrds tiped over never got back up. I have since built a wildcat and shoot the 169.5 wildcats at 3050 fps I have also shot the matrix 165's and they shot good,I think a 270 wsm would shoot the matrix 165's between 2900fps and 3000fps, this is based on shooting my 7wsm with 180 bergers at 3000fps,you just need a 1in9 twist barrel for these bigger bullets.

opnions are like butts everybodys got one

the 270 short mags seem like alot of fun but, i dont beleive they will ever sell as many as they have the 270 winchester. it is the number one sold cartridge in America. lets keep this thread going, i am interested in how many like to use the 270 winchester for long range.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.