270 win 140 gr Accubonds RL22

Well I have a remington model 721 that is in good shape. Bought at an auction, and has been a real good deer rifle for my first and only big game rifle. I recently got all the stuff to reload and got some 140 accubonds from reading on here. I had trouble finding powder, but after a month of consintantly going in and checking, I was able to get 1lb of RL22 and 1lb of H4831. I have Federal large rifle primers, and CCI large rifle magnum primers, and Remington large rifle primers. Since I don't have a press yet, I used a family members stuff for the time being, and loaded 50 rounds with H4831 at 57.1 to 57.4. I saw that almost everywhere I looked 57.9 to 58.5 is what people load with the same stuff. Having never shot this load, I went a little lower, but wonder if I should have gone even lower. From what I understand I should be fine as the barrel is not new. Used once shot winchester and Federal/estate brass for reloading. I've never had a problem shoting factory ammo from 130 to 150gr in various brands. Didn't really have quick access to reload and test, so did I underload enough to try one of the 57.1 first?

The sweet spot with 140 grain Hornady BTSP bullets loaded in RP brass and Win LRP primers in my Savage model 111 is 56.2 grains of H4831. But I will say this load is a little fickle, because it will shoot sub MOA some times (usually) and other times it is a 1.5+ MOA shooter. I just got my new Ruger American in 270Win and am going to start from scratch finding a load for it and hope the new rifle is more consistent. I had considered rebarreling the Savage but there wasn't much difference in money.

If I were you, I would load up a few more with lower charge weights of powder and shoot them and progressively increase the charge until you either find the best accuracy or start seeing signs of excessive pressure, such as flattened primers or hard bolt lift. Usually I see the accuracy come together before getting near over pressure situations, especially with a slower burning powder like 4831. Hope this helps. Blessings, Dennis

jFive, I too have a 721 in 270...It's been years since I played with the loads. I remember R22 doing fairly well. It loves H4831 however. I'm shooting 140SST over something in the neighborhood of 56 grains. (I'm not at my house to look it up, sorry).

Let us know how it works for you.

Also, Dennis (gunpoor) let us know how your new American in 270 is shooting and what you think. I've been eyeing them and would appreciate your input.

Gonna pick up some more brass on here, and do a few rounds @ 56 I think, just to make sure I don't see pressure problems. Thanks for the imput. I'm glad to see someone else has a 721 with reloads doing well. I sure am glad I got mine years ago, and don't want to mess it up shooting too hot a load. Saw in hodgson reload book it shows 58.0 gr with a 140gr boattail bullet. It shows it as a compressed load.

58Gr being a compressed load is correct. Mine was more accurate, before it got to a max load. My speed was good and accuracy great so that's where I stopped.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.