.270 Weatherby Elk Hunt

Autorotate19

I have a .270 Weatherby Mk 5 ultra lightweight and Im wanting to use for elk hunting this year. I have always had heck with this rifle, it has always shot around 1.5" to 2" groups at 100 yards with factory ammo, I tried heay and light bullets. I started handloading last year and I have about 300 pieces of brass for it so I figured id give it another go with handloads. Anyone have any good load suggestions. I was thinking about shooting either accubonds or barnes. I know it has the free bore so I guess I want to shoot whichever bullet doesnt mind being jumped a long way.gun)

Thanks

a longer 270 bullet is avalible from wild cat bullets that may get you closer to the lands 169.5 but it would probably need a 1 in 9 twist to stabilize do you know your twist rate? usually factory 270 are 1 in 10. Wildcat also makes 179 & 190 270 bullets but they are designed for the real big bommers 270 allen mag ect with fast twist barrels. I have some 150 bergers & some 169.5 wild cats & Paul sent me a couple 190's to try also.

berger 150's 1.785
wildcat 169.5's 1.885
wildcat 179's 1.915
wildcat 190's 2.012
using hornady's bullet compariter ogive to base.
I'm still waiting for more 169.5 Paul last emailed me saying he was going to make some this month but I havent heard yet.

According to weatherby's website it has a 10 twist so I guess I'm stuck with 150 and lighter.

Yesterday I cleaned it down to bare metal or close to it using sweets and wanted to try some factory 150gr hornady interlocks I had left over. First three fouler shots grouped 1.5" at 100 next three grouped .75". I wish I had more factory loads to test but thats all I had and I was happy with the results. I guess we will see what the hand loads will produce. Im just going to go to the store and see what they have in stock for .270 bullets and go from there.

Good luck .75 group should do the job you have about 20"x20" vital area
I took a nice bull last year with what I thought was a poor shot.
my friend Don Meacam & I could find no blood at the point of impact I thought I had missed as the bull ran through a clearing full bore @ 94 yards . A shot I should have passed on but the adreniln got the best of me.
Anyways I hit behind the lungs and got the kidney. As we were talking at the spot the bull was hit. the **** thing had gone over a small hill not 50 yards and got up after 10 minuets of our conversation. I knew he was hit then but I had no shot as he ran down the draw.
Decided to let him stove up it was getting close to dark the next morning Don did an excellent tracking job with no blood he had only traveled maybe 100 more yards but all was well in the end.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.