270 WBY Mag to ?

Take a look at the Matrix Ballistics bullets if you haven't yet, the 165 in a 1-10 twist is far better than the 150 Berger.

I've seen the site on Matrix bullets good bullet might have to try some. I'm sure by the time I get the 270Wby they may change the design gunsmith is slow on this project for me.

I think I'm having something build which is alittle unique it a 270Wby on a Rem action. Rock Creek 5r 1/10 twist barrel, No wby freebore and case be headspace on the shoulders instead of the belt. Plan on shooting berger 150gr VLD bullets. Only reason I didn't do a 7mag/7Wby I'm shooting a 280AI and 284. I know the 270Wby won't be what's called real LR rifle be a nice addition to my deer/elk rifles.

remember that when you do this the loading manuals will not be any good for your chamber. Also the chamber pressure and recoil will really start to stack up on you, and really tax the action strength.
gary

remember that when you do this the loading manuals will not be any good for your chamber. Also the chamber pressure and recoil will really start to stack up on you, and really tax the action strength.
gary

I fully understand about loading an unknown bullet and as soon as Matrix answers my e-mail about loading data for the 270Wby I'll post their reply.

Since we have a few Weatherby like minds on this post, I thought I'd pose a question, it's a little off topic bear with me. Anyone try a 6.5/240 Wby Mag? I know it's got too be very similar to the 6.5/06 and others... but the cartridge case is different and as I've said; I'm a big fan of the Wby shoulder. It's one of the wildcats I've always thought of building, but like most things in life it's in a line of many things I'd like to do.
I would've wanted to barrel it for the long heavy 6.5mm bullets.

Since we have a few Weatherby like minds on this post, I thought I'd pose a question, it's a little off topic bear with me. Anyone try a 6.5/240 Wby Mag? I know it's got too be very similar to the 6.5/06 and others... but the cartridge case is different and as I've said; I'm a big fan of the Wby shoulder. It's one of the wildcats I've always thought of building, but like most things in life it's in a line of many things I'd like to do.

probably be a fine cartridge, but case supply is pretty hard to come by. Add to this the double radius shoulders at about 45 degrees, and case forming is really going to tax a press. I wonder what the actuall case capacity of the .240 WBY would be compaired to a 2.45" 30-06 case with a 30 degree shoulder and .010" total taper in the the body. The closest case I can think of would be the 35 remington, and it's already a half inch too short. The idea kinda falls right in there with a case I've been designing off and on that uses generic 30-06 brass shortened to 2.375", and has a 30 degree shoulder with .015" taper in the body. The idea is to make the loaded round fit into the magazine with the longer bullets, while still being fair close to the lands. I think the round is good for 2800 fps with 140 grain bullets, and may well reach 2900 fps with something like H450 in it.
gary

The 240 Wby case has almost exactly the same capacity as the 284 case and a little bit less than the 30-06. The double radius shoulder is tricky to reform being as it is not very strong in the vertical direction. All brass would have to be fire formed. If you want a 6.5 of that capacity then the 6.5-284 has exactly the performance you will get with the 240Wby without all of the problems of forming brass.

Midway has 240 Wby brass just have to neck that up to 6.5. The 270Wby I'm having build I didn't have the Wby freebore put in same with the 257 Wby/300Wby I had build.

I've done the 6x284,6.5x284 and I'm now shooting a 284 and I think my 6x284 was pretty close to the 240 Wby. there is about 1.5gr difference in H2o capacity in favor using the 284 case but that isn't much. they have done the 6.5x300Wby,264 Brooks (6.5x257Wby) and if you like the 6.5x240Wby build what you like it's alot more fun. Good luck

The 240 Wby case has almost exactly the same capacity as the 284 case and a little bit less than the 30-06. The double radius shoulder is tricky to reform being as it is not very strong in the vertical direction. All brass would have to be fire formed. If you want a 6.5 of that capacity then the 6.5-284 has exactly the performance you will get with the 240Wby without all of the problems of forming brass.

but no barrel life. Even a .240 Wby neck will come in too short for real heavy bullets, but the steep shoulder will help locate the t.p. out of the throat. The standard 6.5-06 is considered to be about the max a 6.5 use with out going into an over bore condition. But it has the prefered longer neck but the shoulder angle sucks. The 40 degree shoulder on the Ackley really helps that case a bunch, but then moves it into an over bore condition. Not all that much, but it does. To best benifit from the 6.5-06AI you really want to use 140 grain and heavier bullets.
gary

but no barrel life. Even a .240 Wby neck will come in too short for real heavy bullets, but the steep shoulder will help locate the t.p. out of the throat. The standard 6.5-06 is considered to be about the max a 6.5 use with out going into an over bore condition. But it has the prefered longer neck but the shoulder angle sucks. The 40 degree shoulder on the Ackley really helps that case a bunch, but then moves it into an over bore condition. Not all that much, but it does. To best benifit from the 6.5-06AI you really want to use 140 grain and heavier bullets.
gary

You made a statement in your post about the 240Wby "probably be a fine cartridge, but case supply is pretty hard to come by. Add to this the double radius shoulders at about 45 degrees, and case forming is really going to tax a press."

If you looked at a 240Wby case you understand that there is no case that you can form to the 240 Wby since it has a standard bolt face with the belt. I agree the 240Wby neck .308" isn't as long as the 06 .383 both are longer than the 6.5x284 which is a proven LR caliber @ .272" and seems to hold the 140/142gr VLD bullets. I'm not sure which caliber have the better barrel life but my money be on the 6.5x240Wby case since Case capacity for it is 62.83 grs H20 vs 68.01gr H20 for the 30-06.

You made a statement in your post about the 240Wby "probably be a fine cartridge, but case supply is pretty hard to come by. Add to this the double radius shoulders at about 45 degrees, and case forming is really going to tax a press."

If you looked at a 240Wby case you understand that there is no case that you can form to the 240 Wby since it has a standard bolt face with the belt. I agree the 240Wby neck .308" isn't as long as the 06 .383 both are longer than the 6.5x284 which is a proven LR caliber @ .272" and seems to hold the 140/142gr VLD bullets. I'm not sure which caliber have the better barrel life but my money be on the 6.5x240Wby case since Case capacity for it is 62.83 grs H20 vs 68.01gr H20 for the 30-06.

I agree with, and then dissagree on a technicality. The way the double radi works, tends to leave the base of the bullet hanging out in the open if they have to be seated deep. The neck is really (bearing surface) .078" shorter, but with a much better turbulance point. About the only way you could form cases with something else would be a basic 35 Remington case, and it has no belt and is over a half inch too short.

I've been saying all along that the 30-06 case is too big for anything under 140 grains. I honestly think a 62 or 61mm case length is about right. An example would be to compair a 6.5AI with a 6.5-06. They are very close to each other with 100 grain bullets. Yet one case holds a lot more powder. On the otherhand when you jump up to 140 grain bullets, the seperation of the cases really starts to show up because you can use the extra powder better
gary

Not that there is anything wrong with the 270, however, not something I want any more. The rifle means to much to me to get rid of it. I would imagine the .257 would be a nice conversions or go on the high end of a 7mm/300. I currently shoot a .300 Remington Ultra Mag which is very accurate, so I do not know if I want another of that similarity. If I were to go on the larger end of calibers, I am looking at the 338 Laupa! So I don't know, I am just throwing it out there for some other insight!

Thanks for your help!

I've read the whole thread to this point. I don't see much point in spending the money to go down just a bit to a 257 Wby or up a bit to a 7mm Wby. In my thoughts they aren't different enough to warrant a change. But, that's just me.

Depending on the other calibers you own I'd lean toward a 7mm STW if you want to keep the caliber similar but add speed and a larger selection of long range bullets, or consider the 338 Lapua if you want to go a lot bigger.

Having said that, I'd probably just shoot what you have. :D Nothing wrong with it for long range shooting and it's quite unique as it sits.

Would your rate of twist dictate your barrel length?

1-9 = 27"
1-10 = 30"

I would primarily be using this for deer and or long range target! More than likely be using a 115 GR. Berger VLD!

Wildcat it; 6.5-270 Wby Mag... 1-7.5 twist for long heavy bullet; keep the Wby traditional double-radius shoulder.. and the Wby free bore concept... it should be a life taker at long range.
Good luck.

How would you have to go about forming the cases?

How would you have to go about forming the cases?

Well since you asked; I think I'd start with new .270 Wby Mag brass ... Find a good neck sizer die only in 6.5mm that you can resize the neck with, the ability too bump the shoulder at the junction of the neck and shoulder just enough too help the cause. Be sure the neck sizer has a good elliptical tapered expander ball.

Note here: This is assuming your new chamber has the space to take a new .270 Wby cartridge; so that your new 6.5mmx.270 Wby Mag brass can form just a little to your new cartridge/chamber design and reloading it will only require a neck sizing. Make a mistake here and you're screwed.

You may or mayn't have to turn the inside necks of the new 6.5mmx.270 Wby Mag… some of this will be determined on how tight you tell them to make the chamber neck.

Last…. look for a good competition seater die… that will take the .270 Wby Mag body with a 6.5mm seater stem rod. Me…. I kinda like RCBS for that type of tool; there are more precise ones but the RCBS works just for the price.

OK.. this is last… work from the 264 Win Mag loading book's… there's more then enough room to move up with your free bore and case design. I'd also give myself 28" of barrel. Buy a good chronograph if you don't have one for testing, you'll need it… other wise just buy a .264 Win Mag.

All in all it should be a real fun cartridge.

Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.