270 guy here, other caliber options?

KSCHEVY

With less recoil sutible for deer? New here hope I'm in the right place. After this season I may look into changing things up caliber wise. I'm cresting 30 and not recoil sensative but I've fractured my shooting shoulder a couple times. I like to shoot the deer stick and have a sled and bags. I prefer the bags but after shooting a box of 270 it's all I can take for a while. Couple in the field no biggie.

AR all day is a breeze but I'm not quite sold on 223 for deer and prefer a bolt gun. Bolt gun caliber wise what I've played with has been 270, 30-06, 308, 7mm mag.

Recoil wise how does the 243 and 25-06 stack up? Open for other options.

Thanks! :)

25-06 will be lighter than the 270, but i would say a 7-08 would be lighter recoil and probably a little lighter to pack as well. couldn't go wrong with any of them.

With less recoil sutible for deer? New here hope I'm in the right place. After this season I may look into changing things up caliber wise. I'm cresting 30 and not recoil sensative but I've fractured my shooting shoulder a couple times. I like to shoot the deer stick and have a sled and bags. I prefer the bags but after shooting a box of 270 it's all I can take for a while. Couple in the field no biggie.

AR all day is a breeze but I'm not quite sold on 223 for deer and prefer a bolt gun. Bolt gun caliber wise what I've played with has been 270, 30-06, 308, 7mm mag.

Recoil wise how does the 243 and 25-06 stack up? Open for other options.

Thanks! :)

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

If you are NOT opposed to a muzzle brake on your .270 Win, there are plenty of effective ones out in the market today that will significantly reduce the felt recoil and muzzle down the levels of chambering you are considering. My .300 WMs with MBs have a felt recoil comparable to that of a .243s. Most gunsmith in my area charges ~$100 to thread the muzzle + the cost of the muzzle brake.

I understand muzzle brake is NOT for everybody but they are by far one of the best solution in reducing felt recoil.

Good luck!

A 243 will kill deer just fine.

The Sierra 85g Gameking or 87g Berger VLD or 95g Classic hunter are very good.

That being said if much of your shooting is target and shooting in field doesn't bother you just have a brake installed.

25-06 all the way. If I could only have one rifle it would be the 25. I have killed a couple truckloads of elk with mine with absolutely no problems.
Thanks, Kirk

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

If you are NOT opposed to a muzzle brake on your .270 Win, there are plenty of effective ones out in the market today that will significantly reduce the felt recoil and muzzle down the levels of chambering you are considering. My .300 WMs with MBs have a felt recoil comparable to that of a .243s. Most gunsmith in my area charges ~$100 to thread the muzzle + the cost of the muzzle brake.

I understand muzzle brake is NOT for everybody but they are by far one of the best solution in reducing felt recoil.

Good luck!

^^^^^^^^^Right on the money. I fought it for a long time because of the noise. They are all noisy with or without a brake. Hearing protection is smart when hunting regardless of the rifle configuration. Unless suppressed. Spend ~ $300 for a high quality brake installed and you will love your rifle. You will want one on every rifle after that.

Steve

Thanks guys, hadn't thought of the muzzle break honestly. With that said if it's up to 300$ I'd almost rather buy a new rifle and throw down some more money. Currently have a vanguard S2, I've always kinda lusted after an A or X bolt in some fashion.

Ok I've been doing some homework tonight on the 6.5 and watched some YouTube videos, it looks promising. Hornady loads seem on par price wise to just about all your "common" calibers. Thanks for the heads up, not something I would have thought to look into.

6.5 CM, 25-06, or 243 would all be good rounds. The 6.5 would be a fun round for varmints, deer, or antelope and is a great long range round. I have a 243 I use occasionally for whitetail with good results. Any of the suggested rounds would be good options.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.