270 Gun Choice (Brand)

I have a .270 in a Tikka and it shoots very well year after year. I also have a 25-06 in an A-bolt browning it is a nice gun as well but I would say the Tikka would out shoot it. Saying that the rifle I use the most is my .300 win mag in a Remmington M700 but this has some up grades done to it. I dont think you can go wrong with any of these.

I have a .270 in a Tikka and it shoots very well year after year. I also have a 25-06 in an A-bolt browning it is a nice gun as well but I would say the Tikka would out shoot it. Saying that the rifle I use the most is my .300 win mag in a Remmington M700 but this has some up grades done to it. I dont think you can go wrong with any of these.

I have fired friends' Tikka T3s extensively in 223, 6.5x55, and 308. They are all sub moa with decent ammo. Another friend has won a practical match with an A-bolt in 6.5. We test them at 300 yards mostly, prone, with harris "s" bipods. Hard to beat such accurate practical rifles for such little money. Definitely the great guns you mention are much more accurate than typical deer rifles of yore. And the factory ammo has come a long way, which makes great performance possible for non reloaders.

I had never owned a 270 Win. So just for fun, I went and bought a Stevens 200 in 270. 22 inch barrel, factory configeration. Skinny little barrel. plactic stock. after doing some break-in and working on the trigger. started out with 110 gr Sierras. Rifle is shooting cloverleaf groups at 100 yards/ benched. Rest and sandbags..45grs of Varget, bullet setting .015 off the lands. muzzle velocity 3164 fps. Now if you don't count the brass,bullets, and dies. I have 358.00 USD in this little rifle.. Will also try some 130 gr bullets. Jack Oconner says I must. If i keeps going the way it is now, it will get a 26 inch bull barrel and a good stock. And still have less then 600.00 USD in it. Ok im a Savage Fan,and I alway will be. the next one will be a 25-06. If you just would like to play with a caliber, you can't beat a savage.

Good shooting
Randy

I have a number of different caliber rifles - I use primarily a .308 and .300 Win Mag for hunting and 1,000 yard shooting. Also have 223s, 7.62 by 39, etc. I do not have a .270, but have been impressed by the ballistics using 130 gr rounds - so I would like to get a .270 bolt action.

I would like a 24 inch barrel for velocity reasons - I had narrowed it to Model 70s, a Remington CDL SF. Browning A or X bolt (especially the Stainless Stalker), and possible a Ruger. My rifles are either Remington (Senderos and a R5 Milspec) or one Savage plus DPMSs. It appears the Brownings and the Ruger have only 22 inch barrel in .270. So they are out if my information is correct on barrel length.

Any thoughts on the Model 70s with a 24 inch barrel, or the CDL??? The CDL would be my first wood stocked rifle if I go that way. Sometime in December I will be buying myself a Xmas present.....I suppose there are Weatherbys and Tikkas to look at too
There's not a wrong choice between the M-70 and M-700 CDL.

What is your intended use for the gun? If you want a med-short range back packing type rifle I'd say go for the Model 70 with the sporter weight bbl.

If you want a long range precision, then you need heavier/longer bbl and a heavier overall package so something similar to the Sendero would be in order.

Of course you can always go nuts and get a full custom... .gun)

Well, way back then I did buy the Rem 700 .270 CDL SF. And got the $100 discount to boot. It is the prettiest rifle I own, although for Christmas this past year I received a Weatherby .300 Mag with a Lazermark stock and Leupold scope - that is nice looking too. The 270 is still sitting in the safe, I probably won't shoot that one, just pass it down.

Since then I have purchased a number of other firearms including a Garand and Arisaka from WWII - the Garand is sweet looking as well. A Rem 7 mm Mag (didn't have one), Marlin HMR 17 with bull barrel and thumbhole stock, AKs, Thompson Icon, But a couple ARs recently for coyote and future hog hunting have been my latest passion. Bought a Rem R-25 in .243 - awesome coyote rifle. And more recently a DPMS Recon .308 - comes with Magpul stock, grip and fore end. Nice looking, still need to break it in and add a low power optic in case my sons and I go hog hunting - I want to make sure I have enough ARs to go around.

Still waiting for a Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle to show up - been ordered for about 3 weeks. Also .308.

Anyway, it doesn't seem to end - in my book want and need are the same thing......

Oh, and no long range shooting was done last summer by me for various reasons, this summer will be different!!

About two years ago I purchased a new M70 Supergrade for deer/coyote and loved it so much it permanently replaced my Savage. It tips the scale at 10 lbs even with glass which is perfect for my needs. I've shot steel out to 1,000 with no problems. It loves 130 grain Gamekings backed by 58 grains of H4831sc coming out at 3,000 fps even. Maybe ol' Jack new what he was talking 'bout.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts