270 cal

For what range?
For what intended use? What critters?
Beanfied whitetails, or cross canyon Elk make a big difference on recommendations for bullets. Speed vs expansion vs range vs energy required for (?) critters all play into recommending a bullet & loads for them.

I do like to see, & I respect folks more interested in accuracy than speed. Good to see.

Thinking of wolf & coyote. I use a 300 custom for the LRH. I came across this rifle by chance & being a model70 fan i had to buy it. The 20" barrel is not what i would buy in a new rifle. But i could not turn down a great deal. Thank's for any load advice.

I'm a model-70 freak as well.
Oddly enough my custom 300 was built on my old 20" barreled Win 70 xtr 30-06 action, haha.
Now it wears a 26" Hart & is a long action 300 WSM.
My 270 is a model-70 feather wt 270WSM.
I'm launching 140 Accubonds at roughly 3100fps.

I'm guessing with H4350 or RL-19, you could see 2950-3000 with a 140. Maybe 2900 with the short pipe.
But RL-19 & 130's should be a good combo in the 3000-3075 range.
If you had a longer pipe & could take advantage if slower powders id say bump it up to a 150 strictly for B.C. gain to aid in bucking wind. But I love my 140 Ab's. They have a .496 g1 B.C.

Google Nosler.com, or shootersproshop.com for load info, & run it thru JBM Ballistics Calculator to see what will fit your needs.

I'm sure somebody will chime in soon. If not, send a p.m. to royinidaho, & he'll square you away. He manages to squeeze every last fps out of a 270 win without blowing himself up.

Wolf & coyote == possibly moving target, not as much time to dope and dial as say an elk
...and, considering you have a 300 custom for LRH.

I might suggest leaning towards the lighter bullets for 270.

I believe you can go down to 100gr.

I had a slow twist 270 that shot the heck out of the Berger 130's.

The Matrix 165g is one of the highest BC .277's. I've had good luck with them in a 1:10" twist.

-- richard

I shoot the 110 TTSX from my 270 WSM for coyotes and they do a number on them, from a straight 270 Win with a short barrel I would go with the 110 v-max and blow the life of themgun)

110 sierra's and 4350 or rl17. If that doesn't work, any of the 130's on I 4831 or rl17. I've got 2 22" 270's and they like 4831, rl22, rl17, and 7828. So basically if you have some 110's or 130's and one of those powders(or one of similart burn), go for it.

Thanks for sharing all the knowledge guy's it is really appreciated ... Cant wait to do some testing. Just dis-like this 20"pipe...Oh well just will have to burn it then replace with a pacnor or a shilen .........gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.