270 AI

firstcoueswas80

looking into getting one of these. would want to shoot 130 or 140 grainers. i know nothing about this cartridge, how do i make 270 AI brass? can it be bought? i am a pretty novice, in experienced hand loader, should i stay away from a 270 ai

It is not as simple as that. Factory 270 win ammo can be fired in a 270AI chamber, but I believe that there would be excessive case stretching in the case head/web area. This could result in case rupture after one or a few reloads. If you look in the Nosler reloading manual in the 280AI or 3006AI data, I believe they describe how to properly fireform cases. You can probably find some info on this site, or maybe someone can post a link for you. I have a 3006AI. Case forming is not difficult, but needs to be done properly.

Guess it depends on the chamber. I have only worked with one and when you loaded a factory round in it the bolt would close with a little resistance. When shot, the AI case was formed. If the chamber is to long for a factory round to fit tight than you must keep the case against the bolt head. There are a few ways to do this. Leave the bullet out of the case far enough to jam into the lands or use 30-06 brass and only sizs the neck far enough so you can just close the bolt. There are probably some other ways also.

Sambo , A properly cut Ackley improved chamber makes for a resistance fit with factory ammo , you should feel just a bit of pressure when the bolt is camed closed.
Alot of guys have their barrels rechambered to the Ai and the smith either is to lazey to set the shoulder back and do it right or doesen't see the need , when effect your ending up with a "Gibbs wanna be" chamber

Personaly I like the Ackley improvement of just about any case especialy the 30-06 family as they all have to much body taper and not enough shoulder.

Touche' guys.
I always like to err on the side of caution. I figgered that someone else with more gray matter than me would chime in. I have never attempted to fire any factory fodder in my 3006AI (that would be sacrilege!) As always, I learn something every time I log on.

What kind of velocity are you guys getting out of the 270 AI....did a search, did not find much.

Not a problem Sambo , it just bugs me when a lazy smith does a half assed job and claims "its supposed to be that way" unfortunatly it happens way to often.
I know of a fella that has a 30 Gibbs , hen makes all his brass buy seating his bullet to standard 30-06 length with a max load and firing it in the Gibbs chamber. he claims that he has never lost a case , I personaly think he has read P.O. Ackley book to many times. But he has never blown up a gun so not sure what thats worth

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.