.270 .280 .06 comparison

marketello

I know the .270 is more popular, and factory ammo is easier to find, and a wider selection to boot, but how do you all feel about the actual performance comparison?

From the reading I have been doing, the .280 actually seems to perform better than the .270, would you agree or disagree.

If you do agree, would the abundance of .270 ammo be enough to sway you to the .270 anyway?

Is the difference between the perfomance so small I should just go with the .270 for the ammo selection

If one reloads, what is the heaviest weight usually considered for both? 150 for the .270, 165 for the .280?

There is a lot of pig hunting in Central CA, & I know people here usually like to move up to at least a 150gr, and some like 180gr for the hogs. I like the idea of a flat shooter so I thought the .280 might be a little bit better of both worlds.

I have a couple of friends who have offered to teach me to load, and I plan to do just that.

Just wondering, what can a reloader do for an .06 to make it shoot flatter. Do many re-load an .06 with 130gr or 140gr for a quicker flatter round, or does the 30 cal just not offer the right BC to do so and make it worth while?

Thanks for the help.

280 is the way to go. although it is a close call, especially if you reload it is the 280, but if you dont there is plenty on the market in a box for the 280

30 cal has great bc by the way

For the last several years, I hunted with the '06 and 165gr SST. Would certainly do what you want.

I now shoot a 270 and a 6.5-06. Where I hunt, wind is a big issue. The 150gr SST 270 and 140gr SST 6.5 buck the wind so much better. For me, the bullet performance would be so close that I doubt I could tell the difference.

With my current bias, I would lean towards the 270 because factory ammo is everywhere if you need it. 150gr SST at 2800fps will lay low anything you are likely to point it at.

If you don't care about factory ammo, then the 280 will offer an advantage when using 162/165gr bullets.

You are really getting into a Ford/Chevy/Dodge debate. In all cases, being able to measure the distance accurately will be critical. No cartridge is flat enough when ranges get beyond 300yds.

Jerry

Like Jerry said , for all practical shooting ranges within 300yds I don't think that you could tell the differance between the three , if anything the 30-06 would shoot flatter at short range due to the fact that it can push the 150gr bullet faster than the other two and at these shorter ranges the bullets BC doesen't realy have that much effect.
Personaly I would go with the 30-06 and try some of Hornady's Light Magnum ammo , I believe that their getting about 3100fps with the 30-06 and a 150gr SST bullet. and if you ever needed to go to a larger tougher bullet then their are alot of good choices for the 30-06 and where I live their are more choices for the 30-06 than the 270 and very few for the 280 , most guys down here haven't even heard of one

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts