27 wsm - saum project

CheshireC

I have a 270 wsm and it's great (med/heavy coyote). I've been reading about the potential lack of saum brass. I like the design of the saum case also( maybe better). So I turned off the end of FL 7mm wsm die , and bingo zingo, I've got a kindof win-rem. The 300 wsm cases are coming up about .020 shorter when shoulder is set back ( in the 2.08 range), 270s are around 2.090. Neck is around .325 long. Shoulder is about 1/64 longer than saum for safty reasons. I saw that kenny had a 7mm Rem. SAUM, 35* Imp. reamer .316 neck (I'd want a .312 or there abouts). Water seems to wiegh near 75 full , near 70 to neck base.

I like the looks of this one, and it would seem one of the easier wildcats to do. Goal of this project was to reduse 270 win short capasity (right size) better to bore from standard brass. Create long neck for percieved throat wear attributes, bullet seating depth attributes. Max out the COL to magazine to not intrude past neck (3.010). Retain similar speeds as wsm.
So far I've had way too much fun with this, being my first wildcat. (Where is Wild_Bill when you need him ?)
I'm would imagine this one has been done before, and I just didn't see it anywhere.

If anyone would like I could probably post a pic and do the name game.

I don't know if wildcat projects are best posted here , let me know and I'll move it if needed.

Thanks Mark

Well I'll post the pic and hope for a response :.. pic1
20211_246355_tl.gif

pic1
L>R 284 , 7wsm , 270 wsm , 27wrsm ? , 308 , 30-06 , 264winmag , 300 wm
didn't have a saum on hand for a visual reference.

the 270 CT 150gr. in this wildcat is out to max mag length - .020 and dosn't go past the neck (nice).

I am having some trouble with some different brass. The shoulder bump is shortening the case 60 thousanths ( .060 ), not what I hoped for. Not sure if it's softer brass, thinner or what. It is lighter than the others used previously. Wonder if could harden it a little in the oven ?

This would probably be good for a 7mm , and 30 cal for rifles with 3 inch magazines. Not too dissimilar to other cases , but enough ?
Thanks Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.