264wm 100ttsx for point and shoot hunting

Bob L.

If you couldn't afford a scope for the time being and had a 3x9 standard scope would you opt to shoot 100tsx at 3700+ for flat deer gun until you could get a better scope for drops for a 140 to stretch it out. To 400-500 yards it does shoot flatter.
What is your opinion?
Thanks
Bob

You can shoot a deer as far as you can shoot with a 3-9 scope, dont handicapp yourself with that caliber and 100gr bullets. a good load is a 130grain Berger VLD, you can buy them loaded from HSM and Long Range Hunting, zero 200 yards, your about 6.5-7" low at 300, top of the back hold will kill that deer at 400 yards.

even with a standard duplex reticle you can use your power selector and reticule post to "dial" a bit, if that intrests you at all.

I would go to a heavier bullet because just as if you were dialing, the wind is gonna mess with you long before you make an elevation error. that being said I would look at a ballistics calculator and see what gives you the best combo for wind and elevation, and go as heavy as you can (with a good b.c and decent bullet construction) without going more than 16" of drop at 400yards. Then make 400 your limit.

Well I guess I'll play devil's advocate:D

If you're looking at a max range of 400-500 yds, you aren't going to need a uber BC VLD... not necessary; especially with the stated velocity of 3700fps! I will tell you, I would keep 500yds as an absolute max due to the poor BC & the effects wind will have when that velocity starts to fall off.

The 100TTSX @ 3700fps will level any deer on the face of the earth in the 400yd area. Bang,gun)------------------------ > dead deer.

The 100grainer will have less drop to the 4-500 area, & (without running the numbers myself) the TOF should = equal or better the wind drift of the heavier bullets.

Angus was spot on about using your power ring (assuming SFP) to run you 3-9 as a "poor man's Horus". It will be time consuming, but will work just fine.

If you intend to hunt gamer bigger than the largest deer, I would step up bullet weight, if you don't, load the 100's & never look back.

I have a 264 M70 with 26" Bullberry barrel and have killed 2 elk with it. It has a leupold 3-9 VX-1. 1st elk was killed at 100yds with one shot and second was shot 3 times at 550-575yds. My first two shots on the second elk were both in the lungs and the 3rd was through the brain stem. If you get familiar with the combination you have then there is no point to change it. I like the 3-9 because it offers a lot of variables to be covered in the terrain I hunt but this may not be the case for everyone. I was shooting 140gr. Core-lokt bullets but have since switched to 130gr. Accubonds. The 100gr Barnes should do fine for what you have in mind with no problems. I have noticed that bone contact with barnes seems to help significantly in DRT performance.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.