264win mag vs 270wsm

Bkknupp

I have a 270 wsm but I've kinda always wanted a 264 win mag. Is there enough difference to justify buying another gun and dies ? I will keep my wsm regardless. I guess I'm just wanting some one to help me justify a new toy.

Nope, the only difference is the cal but they'll more or less get the same thing done. The bullet will be the deciding factor to which one will have the slim advantage.

This is the same dilemma that I had several years ago.
High BC bullets vs, heavier weight bullets at the same speed.
There just wasn't enough difference to open my wallet.

In the end I chose 7mm for still higher BC and heavier weight bullets
for more effect an big game.

Enjoy

I have a .300 Weatherby so heavy weight bullet selection is not a problem. However , I rarely use anything over 140 grain. Whitetail is about all I hunt. I tend to lean towards lightweight , and faster loads.

OK the 140 gr is a popular weight for 270 cal.

One good choice is a Hornady 140 SST, BC 495 G1.
With a wsm, you can launch this one at 3200 fps easy.

The new 170 berger is going to completely change the 270s place in the world. Id keep the 270 and hope it will shoot the 170. Fast and light is fine for 400-500 yds but after that its all bc baby. Take the cash you were gonna spend on a 264 and develop a good LR load for that WSM. The only reason the 264 was ever even conceived was bullet superiority which it just lost.

I will keep my 270wsm. It was a gift from my parents. I plan to try to use the Nosler AB 140 gr. Nosler guide #7 shows this bullet to have a Bc of .496 and Sd of .261. I hope this will work well n my rifle. This bullet should work for whitetail or elk I think.

The 270 WSM really is a great hunting round, you can go light and fast or you can load up with a 165 Matrix which will match the best the 7mm can bring.
The 140 Accubond is a good bullet if you keeping your range down, I prefer the Berger 140 over the Accubond because it opens a little better on the lighter deer but still works well on elk right behind the shoulder. After shooting the 165 Matrix it just don't get much better!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.