264 WM 140 Accubonds

J300UM

I've searched the net a bit and haven't found alot of guys loading the 140 AB's. I just got my rifle back from the smith and have 2 boxes of 140s and a box of 130s sitting on my bench. I used the 130s when the rifle was stock and they shot ok. I was thinkin the 140s would be a better all around bullet for anything up to and including elk at moderate ranges. Has anyone run these in their 264 with any luck? I plan on running 140 VLD's for open country work and hopefully the AB's for times when shots can range anywhere from 60-600 yds. I'm open to other suggestions as well. These are just what I have on hand. Thanks for any input!

No I haven't tried the 140NABs.
I can't seem to find any anywhere.
I have tried the 130s.
My rifle has a 28 inch 1/8 barrel on it and so far it just flat will not shoot them.

Have had better luck with the 130VLDs and the 140 Hornady SSTs.

I just got the barrel broken in on this gun and am just starting to do load development work for it.
I will tell you that I am getting almost 3400 FPS with the VLDs:D

I have not tried the 140 AB but do shoot the 130 AB with Retumbo with outstanding accuracy and in my 27 3/4" Shilen barrel I average 3350 fps. I only deer hunt but if I ever got the chance to hunt elk I would have no reservation using the 130 AB on them from what I have seen using them on deer. I have only recovered one bullet from 6 deer. It was from a good size WT buck shot at 111 yards facing me with a slight left shoulder angel. Bullet entered the edge of the left shoulder smashing it and made soup out of the vitals and was found in the right ham when cutting up the meat. Retained weight was 87 grs and a text book mushroom.

Got to the range yesterday afternoon for some more load development work.

I finally got the 130 NABs to shoot an MOA group.
I found the magic powder charge weight for the 130 NABs and the Berger VLDs
I need to tweak the seating depth but I think I can get them to shoot.

The 130 VLDs shot a .551 five round group.

I've got some 140 VLDs on the shelf but haven't started working with them.

I have not tried the 140 AB but do shoot the 130 AB with Retumbo with outstanding accuracy and in my 27 3/4" Shilen barrel I average 3350 fps. I only deer hunt but if I ever got the chance to hunt elk I would have no reservation using the 130 AB on them from what I have seen using them on deer. I have only recovered one bullet from 6 deer. It was from a good size WT buck shot at 111 yards facing me with a slight left shoulder angel. Bullet entered the edge of the left shoulder smashing it and made soup out of the vitals and was found in the right ham when cutting up the meat. Retained weight was 87 grs and a text book mushroom.
The 130s did very well for me when the rifle was stock. The old tube was only 24" so I was running them at about 3225 but I still have my longest kill to date with that load. A muley buck at 780 yds and he only went about 18" after the shot....straight down! I figure I'll go back to those if the 140s dont shoot. Though its not my primary elk rifle, Ive got it stuck in my head that the 140s would serve me better should the need to use it for elk arise. I tend to everthink stuff alot:rolleyes: I'll post my results with the 140s once I get some optics mounted on it.

I use a stock pre-64 Winchester model 70 with a 26" barrel. I use Barnes 120 grain Tipped TSX's, IMR 4350, CCI 250 primers at 3480 fps. Was out at 500 yards with it last week. got a 1 1/2" three shot group. Fast, flat, hard hitting, deep penetration and accuarte. Best of all worlds.

Have taken 10 Bull Elk with it and 8 Mulies. None went more than 15 yards.

MEV

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.