.264 win mag

I am the proud owner of an original Model 70 Westerner, The gun that started the .264 Magnum series. It is , and will always be, my favorite long range rifle. It was my Dads bought used in 1963 and has been mine for the past 10 years. This rifle has done amazing things over the years and was even given a nickname on its first year of service with my Dad out of respect for what it was capable of doing. On a Family and friends group Deer hunt in the wide open spaces of Central Oregon in 1964 this rifle made its debut a thing to remember and cherish forever. The terrain was mixed slow rolling fields of winter wheat and open exspanses of high desert. Mule Deer bucks were abundant that year and Dad invited one and all to come join him that year as the deer were fat and horns pretty impressive to boot. Ended up being 13 in the group that year and I got to tag along on my first ever deer camp hunt at the fine age of 6 years old,,, seems like it was just yesterday. My dad had tried to impress upon all who were to come that the shooting would be pretty far at times and being true men one and all ( few listened ). A gaggle of saddle rifles, old war surplus rifles such as .303 brits and a 6.5 Jap to mention a few and one newer 30-06 showed up for this hunt. Dad bagged a big fat 3 point opening morning and that was the only harvested buck on that day. By the end of the 2nd day one more deer had been taken with the 30-06 as I recall and the whining and crying was going something like this,,, "How far were you holding over his back Clem when you emptied yur gun ?" I dont rightly know Bubba but I couldnt see him in my sights no more when I pulled the trigger if"n that tells ya anything !!! So starts the .264 Mag saga. Dad offered to take 2 hunters out at a time and use his rifle and he would spot for them and call the shots as all would be a good 300 yard or better shots . Dad had been practicing long shots for a year just for this kind of hunting. By end of day 4 all 13 tags were filled and 11 of them with the .264. I will never forget seeing so many nice Bucks hanging in our camp. The air was cold so the deer stayed in camp. A pair of hunters stopped in camp at dusk on the 4th day to admire the horn collection. In my family when the hunt is over the gear changes and celebrating kicks in. Good food and a taste of good liquor becomes the theme of the day. Offering both of these to the 2 camp guests and deer hunters being known to brag a bit from time to time,,, it was soon discovered that the majority of the deer had fell victim to one rifle in particular and of course had to be brought out for "show and tell". While the gun was in the hands of one of the guests and he had seen one of the cartridges he was heard to say "That **** rifle is pure Hell on deer,,, downright EVIL as a matter of fact." All around agreed and someone then said, "Hell, you outta name it !!! So then then one and all started thinking of a name befitting such an evil deer slayer,,, To this day throughout my family and among friends this Sweet little rifle is known as " LUCIFER "and from then til now has proven worthy of his name on Elk, Antelope, Coyotes, Cougar, and a host of other varmits,,, Gotta go,,, I hear him calling ,,, goin huntin ....

What a great story! Your family history has some similar history to mine in that hunting is our largest and most common thread that keeps us all together. To this day whenever we get together, for whatever the occasion, talk always seems to find its way to the upcoming deer hunt.

It would be great if you had some pics of your deer camp when LUCIFER was given its name. :)

I too am strongly considering the .264 win mag in a Remington Sendero. It sounds like one heck of a round.

Thanx for sharing.
RH

Last edited:
My Dad has used one since 1969 and I bought an old Rem 721 in 1986 for $135 and have had more one shot kills with that gun than anything else my collection . I have semi Retired it but if it gets down to the last day of season the old plain 721 usually comes back out It just feels natural to shoot and I hear all these people complaining about recoil it has never bothered me and i was only 16 when i started shooting it. Anyway 2 Elk , countless whitetail, coyotes, bobcats ,and a couple of praire dogs WOW! Great Round

Mine just got another coyote tonight, 300+yds in a strong crosswind. If the wind is howling or I think shots over 300yds are more likely than shots under 100 this is what I use. It shoots high BC bullets faster than anything that doesn't kick hard enough to affect my accuracy.

Has anyone got an idea where to buy 140gr Berger VLD hunting bullets now? I am using accubonds because I can't find any bergers for my 264 right now.

Mcseal
I've got some on backorder with Cabela's right now, I've heard they are making a run of them this month at Berger.
I own 3 264 Win Mags, one is a pre 64 Westerner that I picked up at a pawn shop about 4 years ago. Bought a Rem 700 CDL SF at Cabela's about 2 years ago. I just built a custom with a Stiller Predator action, Broughton 5c 28 inch barrel, Shilen trigger and HS Precision stock.
A good friend of my dad, who was a full time machinest, part time gunsmith, used to hunt with one in the 60's when I was a kid. I was in awe of the round as a small boy hunting with my dad and his friends. I've hunted with a 300 Win Mag for over 30 years, and its a very good all around caliber but I'm getting a little tired of getting punished at the range while I work out new loads. Don't get me wrong I still believe that the 300 is an excellant round but something about a 140 grain Berger with a G7 ballistic coefficient of .313 going 3200 fps at the muzzle just feels good. And it doesn't kick like a mule, recoil is very manageable.
And by the way that friend of my dads built him a 25/06, while it was still a wildcat in 1963, out of an 03A3 Springfield with a Douglas barrel that resides in my safe today.

Mcseal
I've got some on backorder with Cabela's right now, I've heard they are making a run of them this month at Berger.
I own 3 264 Win Mags, one is a pre 64 Westerner that I picked up at a pawn shop about 4 years ago. Bought a Rem 700 CDL SF at Cabela's about 2 years ago. I just built a custom with a Stiller Predator action, Broughton 5c 28 inch barrel, Shilen trigger and HS Precision stock.
A good friend of my dad, who was a full time machinest, part time gunsmith, used to hunt with one in the 60's when I was a kid. I was in awe of the round as a small boy hunting with my dad and his friends. I've hunted with a 300 Win Mag for over 30 years, and its a very good all around caliber but I'm getting a little tired of getting punished at the range while I work out new loads. Don't get me wrong I still believe that the 300 is an excellant round but something about a 140 grain Berger with a G7 ballistic coefficient of .313 going 3200 fps at the muzzle just feels good. And it doesn't kick like a mule, recoil is very manageable.
And by the way that friend of my dads built him a 25/06, while it was still a wildcat in 1963, out of an 03A3 Springfield with a Douglas barrel that resides in my safe today.

Thanks for the heads up, I emailed Bryan Litz and asked him when they would be available. I want to have a custom turret built around my 140 Berger load, but don't want to if I can't get the bullets. I will see what he tells me, and get some ordered from Cabelas as well so I get a couple boxes either way.

The .264 Win Mag is a great round as I have owned a custom one with Mauser action, bull barrel, and custom stock for over 20 years. Have also used a .270 for S Texas deer and hogs due to the weight of the .264 (11 lbs) for stalk hunting all day. Loaded with 140 grain Nosler partitions I have dropped 2 150# hogs with one bullet, which in fact wounded a third hog lodging itself in the ham of a sow as she was not lined up with the first two. This weekend my 14 year old daughter dropped a 12 pt 200+ lb 164 B & C score whitetail with a shot through the shoulder like a box of rocks. Her comment was she never even felt the rifle. Due to the weight I would say it kicks less than my 270. So purchase one with no worries other than you better buy a good scope as I scrambled a Bushnell 4 x 12 scope a while back. Muelrexp

Hey 264 win mag lovers, I just killed a 200 lbs whitetail , at 313 yrds. I shot him with a 120 grn nosler ballistic tip at 3200 fps. Dead on hold. I also shoot 125 grn nosler partitions at the same speed. bad bad bad medicine. I hand load so as to get all that I can from this 24 inch ruger barrel. I shoot 60 grns of IMR 4350. I did some extra loads this year to see where I can go with a 120 grn bullet and managed to get to 3353 fps without any signs of preasure, and was using a Pact chrono. IMR 4831 is an excellent choice as well.

I see no reason to shoot 140 grn bullets out of a 24 inch barrel in a 264 win mag, because I can push a 7mm rem mag to 3400 fps with this bullet. All of my shooting is done from ruger rifles. For the 7mm rem mag IMR 4831 is the best. If anyone needs loading data for this, post it and I will get this to you.

.264 mag is what they called a beanfield rifle. I have a Weatherby Vangaurd VGX made in the 70's it pushes a 120gr sierra at 3500 with 65 grs H4831 . If you can it you can see it you can kill it. Recoil is less thn 270 30-06 7mm or 270 Weatherby Mag! I pick mine up and go all the time before any of the others I have! There are not to many out there if people only knew how they shoot !:rolleyes:

I also have a .264 in the rem 700 cdl sf, I love this gun. I did although have a problem with it, I didn't really notice the problem till I started working up to the max loads in it, it shot really accurate with hot loads but the cases started sticking and noticed that when they reamed the chamber they left chatter marks about .100" in front of the belt, but after a little work, I got them out and now shoots great with hot loads. I like the 120 grain nosler ballistic tip, I also like the 130 grain berger hunting vld bullet. worked up a load at 3200 fps, worked well with the 4.5-14 vx3 with the b&c rect. all the way out to 550 yds. furthest deer killed yet is 502, but plan on making a 800 yarder someday. It has a the capability, I just need to learn how to unleash it.

did anyone else have this problem with the 700 cdl stainless fluted?

Hello,evryone.
I am new to this forum and as my handle would imply I am a .264 Win Mag Fan. My Rifle is a pre-64 model 70 Winchester with nearly 1000 rounds through it. It still shoots half inch at 100 with sierra 120 prohunters and 100 HPs. I have killed several Mulies 2 Elk 1 Bear and Hundreds of coyotes with it, of these animals only the bear traveled after the shot( about 100 yrds straight downhill). All of the big game and some of the coyotes were shot with Winchester 140 grn factory ammo. I havent been able to draw a Rifle deer tag for quite some time so I mostly use it for coyotes in the Big open country with sierra 100 HPs. Results are dramatic to say the least. I recently set it up with a 6x-20x leupold VXIII and a Harris bi-pod for long-range(400+) hunting. We have free range Aoudad in my area, and the licence is over the counter so I think this will be the beginning of my truly long range hunting.

My cousin and I bought a pair of 264 win mag. we have had great success with our guns. Flattest shooting, accurate, very accurate at long range 400 to 600 yds on a deer is a snap. The recoil is not much and its a hard hitting killing machine with the right bullets. wish I would have bought one years ago. thanks Ron Jones

I really like the berger VLD 140 grain with 63.5 grains or 7828 the bergers have a BC of 612 they fly very well

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.