264 Win Mag - Y would anyone want one?

During the past year or so, I have worked with two rifles chambered in .264 Winchester Magnum, a custom Sako (24" barrel) and a new Model 70 (26" barrel). I had no previous experience with the cartridge, but had been curious about it since the mid-'60s.

I experimented with six bullets and five powders. Chronographed velocities in the shorter-barreled Sako were either similar to or slightly exceeded Model 70 26" velocities. None were impressive, but I guess I had hoped for the velocities (probably at dangerous pressures) that were published in the 1960s. Each rifle was a one -and one-quarter- inch shooter at best.

Fully understanding and accepting for almost fifty years that this game has little to do with practicality, I'm inclined to agree with those who question the advantage of the .264 Magnum over the standard .270 Winchester. Granted, there is a difference. How much of a real in-the-field difference that may be is up to the individual, ballistic coefficients duly noted.

Being one that doesn't learn from past mistakes, I've seriously contemplated the purchase of a pre-'64 Model 70 Westerner in .264 Magnum, the one that got me interested in the cartridge years ago.

For me on a personal level, I just wanted one and I had wanted one since '75 when I graduated and an old friend told me it was his favorite whitetail rifle and all the reasons why.

But it had always been a case of wanting one until 2 years ago when I found a nice 700 BDL in .264 in a pawn shop while there just looking around.

I have shot a few more than a box of shells thru it now, all at paper. The first box was Winchester 140 grain Power - Points. After shooting and just getting used to the way it felt and shot, I finished that box up with a 3 shot group at 100 yards that I could cover easily with a quarter.

The nest box was Nosler Trophy Grade 130 grain AccuBonds. My son and I went to a local range last Sunday to see what it would do since I am going deer hunting with it this weekend. The first shot at 100 yards was just low and right of the black center. Zach made the adjustments for me ( I didnt have my glasses ) and the next 2 shots were in 1 egg shaped hole. That 3 shot group was still just under an inch.

Zach needed to shoot his rifle and then leave to meet a buddy to go hunting so we called that good for the time being.

So, answering the question in the title here, 264 Win Mag - Y would anyone want one?, for me it's just a simple case of I wanted one to hunt with and I got it. I'll be the first to say there are probably faster, or harder hitting or even cheaper to buy factory ammo for than a .264, but, when you want something, that's good enough for me.

For me on a personal level, I just wanted one and I had wanted one since '75 when I graduated and an old friend told me it was his favorite whitetail rifle and all the reasons why.

But it had always been a case of wanting one until 2 years ago when I found a nice 700 BDL in .264 in a pawn shop while there just looking around.

I have shot a few more than a box of shells thru it now, all at paper. The first box was Winchester 140 grain Power - Points. After shooting and just getting used to the way it felt and shot, I finished that box up with a 3 shot group at 100 yards that I could cover easily with a quarter.

The nest box was Nosler Trophy Grade 130 grain AccuBonds. My son and I went to a local range last Sunday to see what it would do since I am going deer hunting with it this weekend. The first shot at 100 yards was just low and right of the black center. Zach made the adjustments for me ( I didnt have my glasses ) and the next 2 shots were in 1 egg shaped hole. That 3 shot group was still just under an inch.

Zach needed to shoot his rifle and then leave to meet a buddy to go hunting so we called that good for the time being.

So, answering the question in the title here, 264 Win Mag - Y would anyone want one?, for me it's just a simple case of I wanted one to hunt with and I got it. I'll be the first to say there are probably faster, or harder hitting or even cheaper to buy factory ammo for than a .264, but, when you want something, that's good enough for me.

coy long range 338lapua--I Hunted whitetail deer with a Rem. BDL 264 mag from 1975-1994, had a lot of enjoyment hunting over timber cuts in SC. 140 gr partition- small hole in not to big out no meat wasted. Shot lots of ground hogs in spring & summer- Had my critics, also had plenty of deer & ground hogs 264 is a good shooter, reloaded my ammo-THANKS for sharing that. To get a good group on paper at x-mount of yds. you got to hold right pull the trigger right says -- The Late Jack Oconner,now he was a shooter

I shoot the 140 Bergers through my 264win @ 3135.. 69g Retumbo

I'll tell you for a fact that-that load right there out-performs a 180grain Berger through a 7mm pipe @ 2900...

Buddy of mine shoots with me about everytime I go out.. his is the 7mm. Comparing impacts on my "mild steel" gongs, past 500 yards the 264 takes a lead.. noticably* At 650 that 180 barely dents the steel... while the 140 outta my 264 gouges an 1/8th-inch deep hole, 3/4 inches in diameter!!! (plate is 3/4"" thick.. heavy stuff)

...at 725, my 264 is still making a dent (& a much-meaner dent at 725 than the 7mm 180 makes at 650) At the same 725, that 7mm 180 is just burning the paint* (...comparable to what 264 140 does to the plate at 840!!!!) That's the difference there.

It's only one example, but plain proof (to me, and buddy) that 264 is a meaner calibre than many give it credit for.. velocity rules the long-range game in my honest opinion... & 264win was intended for the velocity that the 7mm's of same-casings couldn't (& can't) provide...

But... "Y would anyone want one" ??? :rolleyes:

GOOD Talk GOOD Talk....

After growing up hearing all the stories of dad's ported, thumbhole stocked 721 Rem in .264 WM, I would have one. The only remnant left is the case length gauge that I use for trimming my 7mm RM brass, and his stories. His Crack Shot, right up the round brown of a 200# dressed weight white tail, calling predators, hunting everything, shooting prairie dogs to 5-600 yards, all with a 6X Lyman scope. We ran across the guy dad sold it to (he was afraid of the barrel erosion showing for several inches) guy said it was still shooting well with no rifling for the first 8" hitting prairie dogs at 5-600 yards every year. The 140 grain Sierra was his choice IIRC. One bullet, one rifle. He had to borrow a deer legal rifle for me to kill my first deer after e sold it. We were heavy into blackpowder, competition and hunting, so a centerfire bigger than 22-250 was not needed badly till a 12 year old wanted to hunt deer.

Yep, I would not pass a deal on one. I have considered building one with all the new 6.5 bullets and interest of modern times. Barrel steel is better, powder choices better, not sure barrel life is such an issue, or the 7 RM would also be affected just as bad.

I had a semi custom 264 built for dad on his rem 700. 27" Lilja 9 twist shooting 120ttsx at 3400fps. In its short career it has taken 3 mule deer, black bear, 2 cow elk, and a coyote. That gun hits them hard.
Dad and his buddy with 2 bucks dropped by the 264wm.

Attachments

• DSCF0214.jpg
    DSCF0214.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_20141006_182626.jpg
    IMG_20141006_182626.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 137
Winchester .264 Winchester Mag. Was billed as the Utlimate Western Rifle for Deer & Antelope. It has lived up to for me with a very flat point blank range. I will shoot it till the barrel is gone then put another .264 Win Mag barrel on.

Always like the round. All of the reading I did for years, even with the 'barrel burner' legend, didn't dissuade me from wanting one.
Fast forward several years. Injury to my shoulder has moved me from a non-recoil type to one that is somewhat sensitive. Got rid of my 300 WM, tried a 7mm RM and it was worse, then the light bulb came on and I started looking around. I found a Win 70 Sporter in my price range and bought it.
I haven't had much time to really work up loads but having fun with what little shooting I've been able to do. Part is nostalgia and part is it isn't a 'common' caliber to most folks. The younger crowd think of it as 'old' and go for some of the newer, faster stuff. Speed isn't everything unless all you want is to see how fast you can make a certain pill go.
My 264 will take everything I plan on hunting. From coyotes up to and including elk. It will do it with loads that I make and it will do it without causing me pain in my shoulder.
Are there other 6.5 calibers that could do that? Certainly. But for me, I wanted one and now I have the enjoyment of working up the loads to make it shoot. Once I find a 140 grain load I'll probably play with 130/129's just for grins.

I have a new Extreme Weather Model 70 in .264 and I'm working up loads with RL-33 powder, and Berger 140 grain VLD's. I used a Magneto Speed V3 crono and this is my results.

6200 ft elevation
87 degrees
WW cases
WLRM primers
71 gr RL-33 velocity 3114
73 gr RL-33 velocity 3193
75 gr RL-33 velocity 3275
76 gr RL-33 velocity 3301

I didn't go any higher at this temperature, although I didn't encounter high pressure signs. I wasn't going to press my luck. I would think the 77 grain loads I had with me would work just fine in 70 degree temps or colder. None of the 270 Wins I own will come close to that velocity.

3300 FPS with a 6.5 140 It just doesn't get much flatter shooting.

A friend of mine brought one out to the range, a couple years ago, took a few shots, and got the itch.. Son in law was thinking about getting a .270, snooping around on Gunbroker ran across Model 70 Ultimate Shadow, .264 Win Mag with 26" barrel. Had just bought a little Kimber Montana in .257 Roberts a couple weeks ago, timing wasn't right, but didn't seem prudent to let this one get away.
So far, I,'ve got the rifle home, got a couple jugs of R33 stashed, an inkling of what stock I want to put it in, and been pondering a scope for it a few weeks. Looking real hard at a Meopta 4.5-14x44 with McWhorter hv reticle and target turrets..

The way I look at it, there is only a need for 2 high powered rifles when it comes to hunting calibers. (I said need, not want) Why do I choose the two I have chosen? Life experience hunting, (Ive taken a lot of elk, deer, antelope etc and have witnessed the killing power of the two calibers in their given performance areas). One is a large caliber hunting rifle and one is a medium small.
The 338rum is my choice for large game.
I have taken elk with 30-06, 264wm, 300wm, 338wm and 338rum. My 700 custom light weight with a break kicks about the same as my 300wm without a brake and weighs about the same. The ballistics are amazing with the ultra and it shoots sub half inch with 225 accubonds and H1000. I set the scope, squeeze the trigger and the elk go down or take no more than a couple steps. I lung shoot when I can and rarely loose meat. However I love to kill elk when time allows and I may not pass up a shot with this combo that some other hunters may, due to a number of factors. Wont take a bad shot, but wont pass a somewhat marginal shot if I put my self into it. With this rifle, I have never lost an animal and have taken a bunch.
The 264wm is my choice for medium small.
I have taken a lot of deer, antelope and a couple elk with the 264wm. Mine is a factory A bolt medallion with a 4.5-14 Burris. It does the job on elk well, however you must choose your shot with a little more care because of the energy difference. The penetration performance is similar, but the energy difference is noticeable on elk. On deer and antelope sized game it kills efficiently to way out there yds and does not ruin much meat because of SD and good quality bullets. I run Retumbo/140ab at 3119fps. I cannot say enough about the consistency of the caliber or the killing power of 264 140gr.

I Love these two calibers, they are quite a bit different in size but perform about the same on their given targets. Great calibers! and clover leaf shooters!

I have been hunting all types of game in the US. I have three favorites. I have a 300 SAUM, a 35 Whelan, and a 264 win mag. I have shot many whitetail, 7 black bears, 8 mule deer, 4 bull elk, and other various species of game. I shot three of the black bears, 5 of the mule deer bucks, and 2 of the bull elk with my 264 win mag and dropped them each with one shot kills ranging from 200 to 750 yards. To me the 264 win mag is an impressive cartridge. The biggest key to all hunting is shot placement. I mean who cares how fast or far your cartridge can shoot if you can't hit the Mark what good was it.

Now to answer the question as it was stated.
264 Win Mag - Y would anyone want one?
The 264wm is the best penetrating, flattest shooting, most efficient killer in its size category and one of the best in any category. (besides a 26N and it is a true barrel burner) It flat stomps the crap out of a 270 in real world conditions! (I own a 270win that I have carried a lot and watched its lackluster performance on deer and bears past 300yds, its a pooch at best.) The 270 is an over rated 300yd gun that to many people in the west get let down by every year.

The 264wm to the 270win is not a real comparison when it comes to a efficient killing rifle past 200yds. That's real world truth and killing potential. The 270 will kill without a doubt, but the 264 with a 140 accubond at 3000-3200fps is like like Tyson compared to Sugar Ray. They both hit, Tyson just knocked you out and bit your ear off in the processgun)Dont just look at a 264wm, shoot some game with one. You'll be amazed at its performance for a rifle that barely kicks compared to most any other magnum.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.