264 Win Mag Reloading issues

tball65

Just want to know if anyone else has ran across this problem.

I recently purchased a new Browning A Bolt Medallion II in 264 Win Mag.
I purchased 2 boxes of 140 grain remington core lokt ammo to shoot the rifle in and to acquire some brass to go with the Super X brass I already had. I ordered a set of RCBS dies and a Lee factory crimp die. While shooting the rifle at the range I had no problems. Ok heres where it gets weird.

I started reloading this morning and prepped all my brass, deprimed, resized, trimmed, deburred, polished and cleaned, hand primed, powdered up and loaded the first cartridge following the specs in my sierra manual. My loaded cartridge will not fully lock into the chamber and it is leaving a dent on the shoulder. I had some of the factory rounds from Remington and measured them. They were .030-.040 short in overall length according to all of my reloading manuals. The manuals sho that the overall length should be 3.340 which is what I loaded them at. The Remingtons factory ammo measures 3.30-3.310.

If someone has had this issue or may have an idea please help.

TB

You didn't mention which .264 bullet weight you were loading but the correct COL for the 140 grain bullet in .264 Mag is 3.260". If you seat the bullets too far beyond the correct COL they will generally contact the rifling, stick in the barrel and pull out of the brass when you extract the round. But, that would be obvious to you so I think you have a different problem.

It sounds like you might have a sizing problem. When you resized the fired brass, it sounds like the shoulder wasn't set back far enough to permit the case to seat fully into the chamber. You could try raising the shell holder to it's fully "up" position and then screw the die into the press until it contacts the shell holder, then full length resize a couple of cases and see if the empty brass will chamber.

I'm also puzzled that you are using a crimping die.

Will the fired brass that you are reloading, prior to resizing fit, in your chamber? I would not use a crimp dye, or make sure that the dye is set to not apply the crimp while seating the bullet. Generally you do this by backing off the dye's depth in the press body. It's possible that the crimp is applying pressure before the bullet is fully seated causing the shoulder or neck area to deform. This will cause the round to not fully chamber and might be where the dent is coming from. Also, check to make sure your primers are fully seated. The other thing to check, as was already mentioned is the seating depth of your bullet. Makes sure your loaded rounds are not seated too far out for your chamber. I don't think your brass length is a cause of your problem. IMHO.

jwhop, I am loading 130 grain TSX and I do apologize that the spec of 3.340 was retrieved from the SAMMI Overall Max and Min chart. I have since put my factory crimp back in its case and will not use it again. I will use what you have given me and try again. Thanks for the advice.

Greyfox, once fired brass from my rifle will chamber but it should because it was fire formed to fit the chamber of my rifle. I am also in the process of changing my seating depth. Crimp is gone, never to return and the primers are seated even or below the surface. I have found that I have the same problem with my 300 Win Mag, and my 300 WSM reloads are really tough to chamber. I think that my die is not set to the correct position. I will start over using what advice you guys have given and let you know how it works.

Thanks again.

TB:)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.