264 win mag on savage target action. will it work??

bigBolin51

winchester, Tennessee. very small rural town.
I was wondering if I can safely build a 264 win mag or 7mm RM on a savage 12 right bolt left port single shot action. I realize an unfired round will require removing the bolt but A. Will it even work. B. Is it safe as far as pressure vs action strength. Crazy I realize but I just like the action and I already have it and a stock and scope. I know rem 40x are all sa and they are chambered in 300 win... Opinions.

I have been running a 7wsm in one for years and am debating between a 338rum/or edge and a longer barreled 7wsm. There are guys running 338 lapua out of the action, you should be fine with a 264win mag, just most likely have to pull the bolt to eject loaded rounds like you said..

Thanks for the reply. I have been contemplating the 264 vs 7mm. I like the 264 just because the "nobody has one" factor and that the brass can be formed from 7mm. High BC bullets and lighter recoil. Plus with a 140 Berger its super flat to 500 yrds. Barrel burner yes but that's why I like to keep the savage

You might look into the 6.5wsm too, I've seen a lot on it and it sounds pretty sweet if you like the 6.5. You might even be able to get it to eject a loaded round

You might look into the 6.5wsm too, I've seen a lot on it and it sounds pretty sweet if you like the 6.5. You might even be able to get it to eject a loaded round

That or my choice would be to contact Rich on here and get a 6.5 SS (sherman short). Might be able to eject that round but he can give you all the details.

That OLD HANDLE of the 264 Win mag being a barrel burner just will not die. It is no more of a barrel burner than a 7mm Rem mag if you treat them the same. That old handle for the 264 came about BEFORE the 7 mag came out. Winchester advertized the 264 mag as a plains rifle and only loaded 100 to 120 gr bullets in it's ammo at first so people thought it was a p-dog rifle. Yep if you sit down and pop 100 to 200 rounds really quickly at a time it don't take long to shoot a barrel out and the same thing will happen to a 7 mag. I like my 264 Win mag better than a 7mm mag for shooting deer size game. I have had deer run off a ways most of the time with the 7mm mag no matter what bullet used but the 264 Win mag kills them in their tracks most of the time. Get you a 28" barrel for you 264 Win mag. If you only want a 24" barrel might as well go with the 6.5-284.

If I end up going with a 264 I'm gonna do 28 full bull. I've already got all the stuff to load 243. 2lbs h4350. Lapua brass. 105 hornady hpbt. I've just always been impressed with the 264 win mag. I have a 243 and a 300 win mag. The gun is a 204 as of now. But I'm ordering a bolt head from ptg and a criterion or shilen

Ill give that one a big amen. I chuckle at guys who say they would buy a 7mag over a 264 because of barrel life. Those rumors came from back when the slowest powder you could by was 4831 and most used 4350 in it. If the 264 shooting a 140 has less barrel life then a 7mag shooting a 140 id bet it isnt more then a couple boxes of shells.
That OLD HANDLE of the 264 Win mag being a barrel burner just will not die. It is no more of a barrel burner than a 7mm Rem mag if you treat them the same. That old handle for the 264 came about BEFORE the 7 mag came out. Winchester advertized the 264 mag as a plains rifle and only loaded 100 to 120 gr bullets in it's ammo at first so people thought it was a p-dog rifle. Yep if you sit down and pop 100 to 200 rounds really quickly at a time it don't take long to shoot a barrel out and the same thing will happen to a 7 mag. I like my 264 Win mag better than a 7mm mag for shooting deer size game. I have had deer run off a ways most of the time with the 7mm mag no matter what bullet used but the 264 Win mag kills them in their tracks most of the time. Get you a 28" barrel for you 264 Win mag. If you only want a 24" barrel might as well go with the 6.5-284.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.