264 win mag and 95 gr V-max??

Jinx

I am looking at buying 95gr V-max bullets for my 264 Win Mag. I usually shoot 140 gr. Will the bullets be too light too stabilize or will they work? I am looking to use them for jackal and hare shooting. Thank you in advance for any advice.

I tried the 95gn v-max on vermin with devastating effects.
The rifle was a bog standard Model 70,which I have now rebarreled.
To be quite honest I found tha the 140gn Lapua scenar's were just as destructive on furred vermin as the v-max, both were inherently accurate but the scenar excelled when it came to the 400+yds shot..
The other down side to shooting v-max is that you are burning a lot of powder, and with barrel life on the 264 not being the longest you can certainly shorten it dramatically..

regards
griff

Thanks for the reply. At what speed were you sending those 140? The 129gr work also very well on vermin, but I want to try some lighter bullets with less penetration.

Jinx,
best I got out of the 25- 1/2" barrell was 3050fps with H870 or H4831sc
The 870 was really sore on cases as was the 4831 and had plenty of head seperation at those velocities.
I'm now using 56gn's of Ramshot Magnum getting 2900fps and no signs of pressure and excellent accuracy..
The most I could get out of the 95gn v-max was 3400 but it was really savage on the cases. The recoil was more with the 95's than the 140 lapua scenar's..

regards
griff

I was shooting 95s they wouldnt stay together for me when pushed hard 3650fps or so 1 in 8 twist . BUT when slowed to 3500 or so, AWESOME to say the least: accurate, devastating , inexpensive and a B.C. of .365 not bad for varmint bullet. Currently working with 120 amax for vermin with good results.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.