264 loads oal?

danshae

I am having a 264 win mag custom built by hart.it will have #5 douglas taper 27" fluted barrel-jewell trigger-spiral fluted bolt-mcmillan htg stock and a few more options.problem is it is built on an ultra mag action so I dont know how far out to seat my bullets?I can hang out as far as I want with this action,the smith told me to load a dummy round and send it to him he would build around that.I want to shoot 140 bergers and I have allready loaded 78&79 gr of hodgen us 869 up in some new nosler brass and seated the bullets to 3.450 which will easily fit in the magazine but they look awfully long.anyone have any ideas?

A standard that many loaders set for max OAL is to have at least one caliber length of bullet depth of seated bullet in the case. With the new "way to make burger VLD's shoot" by jumping them a good ways you really don't know what seating depth you will need to use in order to make your rifle shoot. Here is another fly in the ointment. If you are going to use any other bullet in this rifle if you have a long throat cut so you can seat those loooog 140 VLD's way out you will be a mile off the lands with other weight and style bulelts. If it were me having a new 264 mag built I would have a normal throat cut.

thanks for the info I never thought about wanting to shoot other bullets which i will.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.