260AI for Tahr and Red Stag?

MTGunner

I have a trip booked for June 2016 to the south island of New Zealand. My want list includes Tahr and Red Stag. I have a very accurate 260AI(6.5x308x40) that I load 130 Berger VLD hunting and 120 Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets. Both loads are very accurate. My question is, are these loads adequate for Tahr and Red Stag? I have taken deer, feral hogs, Red Lechwe and common and white Blesbok with these combinations. I do have a 300WSM that I load 180 accubonds and is also accurate. But, I really do like the 260AI. BTW, I shot the Red lechwe in the chest and it exited just below the anus. Stem to stern you might say. What think you all? MTG

i just got back from nz hunting tahr and a friend that was with me was using a stock 260 loaded with 120 TTSX and took a 13 1/2" bull very cleanly at 440 yrds
so your 260AI should do just fine.
BTW i was shooting a 25x47 [ 222 rem mag necked up to .257 ] loaded with 80gr TTSX and took my tahr with a clean shot at 472 yrds gun)

happy hunting and shoot strait

I think that you will do fine. My only caution is that a big red deer is about the size of a raghorn bull elk. Be sure of your shot placement and angle. I used a 7mm w/ 140 gr bullets for my Tahr and Red deer. Tahr are often found near/on steep drops. Mine was DRT from a high shoulder shot. Only a couple of feet from a 150 plus foot drop. Some drops are where you can't recover them...... A lighter caliber will kill fine. You are just a little more limited on where to shoot him as travel is more likely to occur. Best of luck. Bruce

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.