.260 Remington 24" 1:8 Twist... Best bulet Wt.

WildRose

I'll have my new .260 soon, 1:8 twist 24" so I'm starting to think ahead to ammo and loading.

With the 1:8 twist I'm thinking I should stick to the 125-140's. I'll do some deer hunting with it, but primarily I'm thinking long range coyotes and other varmints so I'm wanting to keep it running as fast as I can while maintaining maximum accuracy.

That all being the case I'm thinking I should focus on the 125-130gr bullets.

Going to start with some Hornady SST's and Interbonds and Nosler Hunting Ballistic Tips and Accubonds. If I can find them there's supposed to be a sciroccoII in 6.5 130 gr that might be a good performer for this cartridge too.

I'll be trying to keep my loads between 2,800-3,000fps.

Sound like I'm on the right track?

I think you're on the right track in terms of 125-130gr bullets.

You can pick your own loads and bullets. But, I listed 3 factory examples below according to NFBal to illustrate the point that the cartridge seems here to perform best with the middle weight bullets.

Nosler Factory Ammo: 260 Remington
10mph wind, 1mph tgt speed
Distance=500yds

140g Partition 2725mv
Elev MOA 11.0
Wind MOA 3.75
Tgt Lead MOA 2.25
Velocity 1183
Energy 1103

125g Partition 2975mv
Elev MOA 9.0
Wind MOA 3.75
Tgt Lead MOA 2.0
Velocity 2013
Energy 1124

100g Partition 3215mv
Elev MOA 8.75
Wind MOA 4.75
Tgt Lead MOA 2.0
Velocity 1878
Energy 783

I really like the ballistics of the 123's and 130's. IF and when I build my 6.5x47 Lapua, the 123 SMK will be getting the go ahead. I think for ultimate splat factor, the 123 A-max is the way to go.

Tank

I don't know if it's the right track-but I'm on a similar track. I was going to refresh my memory, but for some reason my computer won't load my ballistic program right now. Anyway, I'm building a 6.5-284 as strictly a coyote/wolf rifle I'll either use the 120 Nosler Ballistic Tip, or the 123 Hornady A-Max, although I still have some concerns about the A-Max's terminal performance. When I ran the numbers to 600 yards these two looked pretty good. The Scirrocco looked good on paper, but it's long, and I'm in a short action.
If you're thinking longer ranges, and bigger game the 130's may come into their own. You certainly have the twist to run pretty much any 6.5 bullet out there.
A question for liltank: Have you got first hand experience with the 123 A-Max? I'm looking for the "ultimate splat factor" in mine.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. With the tight twist I think for now at least I'll go no lower than 120's and I'm a big fan of using mid weight bullets at less than max velocity and pressure because for the most part over the years I've found they give me the best balance between precision and velocity and of course they definitely add to barrel life.

The gun will be going through some evolutions over the next few months before I have it completely done to suit me so I'll post some pictures and targets as we work though it all.

I'm awfully good at putting the lead on target but when it comes to the finer aspects of loading I like to lean on others with more experience.

Thanks again.

WildRose,
I was thinking about the Scirocco's when I was initially reading your post. They look impressive for a 130 grain bullet. Thats where I would start.

6.5mm/.264 Caliber - 130 Grain SCII - 6.5mm/.264 Caliber - Rifle Bullets - Scirocco II - Bullets without equal!

The Accubond's are the closest to the Scirocco's with their B.C.'s They're almost .100 less than the Swift's. That's huge!

Swift Scirocco II's BC .571
Nosler Accubonds BC .488
Hornady Interbond BC .485
Hornady SST BC .485
I'm starting with a box of each in 130's :D

When I find one that works It'll be time to start reloading again.

I also during this search found out that Nosler is now making 6.8's in 100gr and those can be loaded to around 2700fps so that's my next project.

I carry two rifles every day, the mini 14 in 6.8 and my .204. They are my go to varmint/predator control weapons so I go through a lot of them. They're also both fun to plink with unfortunately, especially the mini (sub MOA @ 600yds) so I shoot the hell out of it!

If the sciroccos perform up to their potential in the .260 I may soon very much be in love.

Last edited:
A question for liltank: Have you got first hand experience with the 123 A-Max? I'm looking for the "ultimate splat factor" in mine.

Unfortunately no. All my choices in bullets for the 6.5's right now is read knowledge. I would do a little research on accurateshooter.com. There are some really good articles out there with first hand accounts. With the 6.5 Lapua the SMK really shines, but thinking the A-max will hollow out the animal pretty good.

Tank

I don't know if it's the right track-but I'm on a similar track. I was going to refresh my memory, but for some reason my computer won't load my ballistic program right now. Anyway, I'm building a 6.5-284 as strictly a coyote/wolf rifle I'll either use the 120 Nosler Ballistic Tip, or the 123 Hornady A-Max, although I still have some concerns about the A-Max's terminal performance. When I ran the numbers to 600 yards these two looked pretty good. The Scirrocco looked good on paper, but it's long, and I'm in a short action.
If you're thinking longer ranges, and bigger game the 130's may come into their own. You certainly have the twist to run pretty much any 6.5 bullet out there.

6.5x284 is a different animal from the 260 rem. It will push the heavier bullets faster and maximize their effectiveness over slightly longer ranges.

As Wildrose states, the 260 Rem is a better balance for barrel life, recoil, etc... and with the medium bullets, it'll perform equally well, or arguably better out to some distance depending on circumstances.

Both are great cartridges. I prefer the 140's for my 6.5x284's. I don't currently have a 260. But, I like Wildrose's approach and may have to try it some day.

JMO
-- richard

6.5x284 is a different animal from the 260 rem. It will push the heavier bullets faster and maximize their effectiveness over slightly longer ranges.

As Wildrose states, the 260 Rem is a better balance for barrel life, recoil, etc... and with the medium bullets, it'll perform equally well, or arguably better out to some distance depending on circumstances.

Both are great cartridges. I prefer the 140's for my 6.5x284's. I don't currently have a 260. But, I like Wildrose's approach and may have to try it some day.

JMO
-- richard
It took me a very long time to settle on the .260 because I had a specific set of criteria I wanted to fill.

To begin with I wanted a high velocity, high BC round in excess of 110gr's that would work in a long range LR platform.

The .243 just isn't quite enough. .308 lacks the velocities I want because this weapon will be used a lot on predators and hogs, which are usually moving and sometimes at very high speeds.

I also wanted something proven in both tactical and general target shooting to be a precision performer beyond 500yds.

I've been working on this project in my head now for three years. I also gave serious consideration to the 6.5 Lapua and 6.5 Creedmore. I went with the bigger case because I didn't want to limit myself to shorter calibers if I wanted to just swap uppers so the Lapua was out. That left the creedmore and 260. I had to then just pull out my crystal ball and decide which caliber would be around in 20 years with the best availability of both factory ammo and components and I just figure that the .260 has the edge there along with slightly better ballistic characteristics.

As I was nearing a decision I cemented my position on the LR-308 platform in .260 rather than going with the AR 15, because at some point I'm probably going to build another upper in .325 wsm, as a dedicated hog gun that I may well try and use at some point on an Elk Hunt.

I don't have a lot of money, and when I buy a gun it's like buying a member of the family because I don't part with them easily and so I'm going to have to live with my choices for the rest of my life.

If I could have made a .264 WM or 6.5x284 fit in an AR platform, trust me I'd have had to do a hell of a lot less thinking over the last three years HA!

The ballistics of the 6.5 bullets in 140gr have been one of my favorites for over twenty years but I just can't get the combination of both bullet weight and velocity I desire from the 140's so I'm focusing on the 120-130gr range.

I'm very fortunate that there have in the last few years come along some just awesome bullets in that range.

1:8 twist 26" barrel 2984fps with 130 bergers. They are extemely accurate in my rifle. Got mine this spring. I didn't get a single tag I put in for so I only have experience with just a couple coyotes out to 500yds. Needless to say they were anchored when I did my job.

Brent

JMO
-- richard
All true. My post may have missed my intent which was to affirm his choice of middle weight bullets. I still can't access my Ballistics program for some reason, but to use the numbers someone else posted, at 500 yards the 125 still had over 2000 fps. Which gives me a bit more confidence about bullet performance at the ranges I'd likely shoot, on the size game I intend to shoot. You folks that are more capable at longer ranges will likely find 140's have more left.

1:8 twist 26" barrel 2984fps with 130 bergers. They are extemely accurate in my rifle. Got mine this spring. I didn't get a single tag I put in for so I only have experience with just a couple coyotes out to 500yds. Needless to say they were anchored when I did my job.

Brent
Thanks Brent. I've just got a 24" so I'd probably get right around 2,900 with the same load. That's certainly in the window I'm looking for.

I've been something of a speed freak with my rifles forever so anything under 2,800fps just doesnt' do it for me, particularly because I do so much shooting on moving varmints and predators.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.