260 Rem with 142 smk's

MU Ag Rho

260 Rem with 142 smk\'s

Was wanting some load data for a 260 Rem. I am shooting a Remington vls restocked with a HS. I am wanting to shoot 142 smk's because of the B.C. Would appriciate any load info with velocities and accuracy. Possibly COL's also. Thanks, Dan

Re: 260 Rem with 142 smk\'s

Other guys in this forum would know a lot better than I would, but a couple barrel manufacturers I have talked to about the 260 rem and 142 SMKs state that you need a 1 in 8" twist. Just wondering if your barrel did have that twist rate?

ReLoader 19 and Federal 210 primers in Winchester brass.
Start at 37 grains and work up. 46 is max, DO NOT start there, we'd liketo have ya around to give us the results when you're finished /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Don't know what the top end is in remington brass.

I have a .260 Rem VLS that I use for silhouette, it has a factory 1 in 9 twist barrel and it shoots the 142 gr sierra just fine. I use varget powder and accuracy is very good and it takes down the 500 meters rams with authority. IMHO the .260 is a great cartridge and the 142 gr sierra is a great bullet for target or hunting. I also shoot the 107 gr sierra using varget powder and this is also a very good combination.
Drags

Drags,

I'm shooting moly coated 140's which I like alot.
Getting 2800fps from a 30 inch tube without any real effort.
Heard that the 107's were scary accurate. Do you know how fast you're pushing them from the factory tube??

Hoodcounty, I had the 107smk going at 3125fps using varget powder and it would shoot about 1/2 inch at 100yds, but for silhouette I loaded them to about 2700fps and they shot very well also. I load the 142smk to about 2550fps with 35gr of varget, this load shot about 5/8 inch at 100yds. My barrel is 26" long with a 1 in 9 twist (factory varmit barrel), I like this caliber very much, but I think I'm going to try a 6.5 grendel when this barrel goes as I'm in the process of have another .260 rem. built.
Drags

ok, come one tell me where you guys are gettin VLS in .260, when did they makem em? i want one. thanks

I got mine at Grices in Clearfield Pa. about 6 years ago, but I don't think Rem. offers the vls in .260 rem. anymore but I wish they would. You might call Grices and see if they have any.
Drags

Thanks, If it was 6yrs ago, no one has one left. I bet thats a sweet rifle though! If anyone wants to part with it, you just let me know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif!

Jordan, sometimes Grices has a special run of different calibers so they may have something in .260.
Drags

[ QUOTE ]
ok, come one tell me where you guys are gettin VLS in .260, when did they makem em? i want one. thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Its called:

Buy a VLS
Buy a take off HS precision VS stock for 150$
Swap stocks and sell VLS stock on ebay for 125$

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Or as the one my dad bought...screw a 260 VLS barrel on a VS action and stock /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JB

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.