.260 Rem or 6mm BR

Duff

I have a Savage .308 that I am going to rebarrel. The two calibers that interest me are the .260 Rem and the 6 BR. The rifle will be used primarily for paper punching and steel plates out to 600 yards, but I'm sure it'll be used on the occasional long range woodchuck as well. I've always wanted a 6.5 somthing, so a .260 makes good sense-good ballistics, less recoil then the .308, ect. But after doing some reading on 6mmBR.com, I've started thinking that maybe a quick twist 6 BR is what I need? Honestly I really don't think it'll be a hunting rifle (for deer ect.) but I do have a hard time pulling myself away from the "more horsepower is always better" train of thought /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif I like the idea of shooting past 600 yards, but finding a spot here in Michigan to get to 600 yards will be tough enough, so 1000 yards probably isn't that realistic. What would be the advantage of the .260 over the 6 BR? (other then power) Seems most people are shooting the 107 MK in the 6 BR, am I going to be limited in bullet selection by going that route? I don't really want to shoot the lighter bullets out of either. Any thoughts to help unmuddy the waters would be appreciated-thanks, Duff

After posting this, I realized maybe it should be in the "barrels and ballistics" section of the forum. Sorry about that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Duff,

Why not have the best of both worlds 6.5x47 Lapua. Lots of info on 6mmbr.com.

A very brief summary (and I am a 260 shooter). 260 Rem can be a pain with brass - Rem brass leaves a lot to be desired, option are to neck up 243 Win - Lapua brass or neck down .308 win brass. In a mag feeder (2.8"COL) with 139 grain Lapua Scenars (good bc and easy to find accuracy) you are seating past the doughnut - might be able to avoid that with the Savage though.

6mm br. no first hand experince - accuracy nuts gun, wind drift will be more.

6.5x47 Lapua, top brass, small primer pocket, shorter case so no problems with seating bullets to mag length - avoids doughnut issues, 30 degree shoulder, less powder with velocities not too far from 260 Rem so longer barrel life.

Hope it helps,

David.

87gr Vmax from a 6BR and 26" to 28" barrel is simply a hoot.

I have plinked with mine on clay pigeons out past 750yds.

Way less recoil, cost and barrel heat. If you get one with an 8 or 9 twist, you can always stuff 105/107gr match bullets and go out to 1000yds.

I also shoot a 6.5 Mystic which is an improved and modified 260Rem. A great LR BR cartridge and certainly will do what you want and even moderate range deer hunting. Since I intend this to shoot match at 1000m, I want all the wind bucking I can get for the recoil/heat level.

I would go with the 6BR for the sort of plinking you want.

Ever consider a fast twist 223? That is a lot of fun too.
Jerry

6br all the way....you have studied the site mentioned .... has a 1000 yd world record and 600 yd records to show for its credit...accuracy is your # goal for what you have stated and only a ppc is a head above the 6br in that dept.
my 10 yr old has hit a 2 moa rock at 1200 yds many times with a 6br so it doesn't take a big gun to make a big shooter
regards /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Go with the br. I just got mine back from the gunsmith and the accuracy even during my break-in was unbelievable! I went with a 12 twist to shot the 68 to 87 grain bullets. It liked any bullet I stuffed in the tube but shot in the .2's on a regular basis with the 68 berger and the 75 v-max. Shoots the the 68 berger at 3500 fps!

Here's my take on it:

6br 14" twist=55 grain bullets at 3850 fps and good to 700 in breezy conditions. I have seen them do 900 in calm conditions but don't kill much.

6br 8" twist=105 grain vld's at 2900-3100 and good to 1k in breezy conditions and 1400 in calm conditions. 600 yards is easy even in an f1 tornado with this combo.

260 8-9" twist=140 grain bullets at 2600-2800 and good to 1k in stiff breezes and good to 1700 yards in calm conditions. 600 yards is easy even in f2 tornados.

6br uses less powder, has less kick, better barrel life, more bullet options, cheaper to shoot, keeps the barrel cooler, and inherently more accurate.

260 rem has more horsepower for the really windy days and more pizzazz when it gets there. Also very accurate.

I love my 6.5-.284 but my 6br improved fast twist is probably my most favorite 1000 yard gun I have ever fired. I too had a hard time convincing myself several years ago that the 6br would be ok for long range despite what my ballistic programs were telling me! It just doesn't look like that short, fat, little cartridge could hang with the 1k crowd but I am telling you it does and often beats them all! The 6.5-.284 is now usually only pulled out when the ranges are past 1200 yards or it's really windy. 600 yards for either is a chip shot!

Happy hunting and remember to count those sheep if you find yourself stewing over this one at night. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

How about the 6.5x55? Over a 100 years old, and still hangs with the big boys.

Over 250 000 match shooters here in scandinavia use it with a Sauer match rifle. Very similar to a SIG 3000

140 grains easy at 2700fps, but can be pushed faster. Barrel life is around 4-5000 if shooting at 2700fps.

Or a 95grain V-max at 3300 fps with a B.C of 0.36

Lapua brass, and excellent bullets available.

I would either use 6mm BR or 6.5x55.

Given your objectives with the .308 rebarrel, I too would send you away with a fast (1:8) twist 6BR. I have one with a 27" barrel. Long range shooting past 300 yards is easier with this rifle compared to any other I've shot. It has viritually no recoil and the VLD class bullets shoot true even in the high winds.

re5513

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.