.260 rem COAL?

killman

Hello everyone I have a ?. I have a Remington 700 bdl ss dm that I am just starting to reload for. I am wanting to use the 130 grain berger vld's. I used the method of sticking the rod down the barrel until it touches the bolt face and marking. Then inserting a bullet in to the chamber and holding there then again sticking the rod down and marking to find the COAL to the lands. I came up with 2.940 does this sound right? Berger said max would be 2.800 . If I was to start .010 off the land at 2.930 seems like a pretty big difference. I also did this procedure with 100 grain Nosler BT and came up with 2.830. I would appreciate any info you could give.

Thanks Killman

"I came up with 2.940 does this sound right?"

Well, if that's what you measured, it's right, at least for a max OAL. Your rifle isn't what Berger used so both your max and most accurate OAL will be different from theirs. ??

Thanks, I guess I was just wondering what everyone else was using for a coal in a factory remmy 260 with this bullet.

killman,
Sounds like you're on the right track. You are using the method I started out using and this will work good as long as the meplat and/or bullet tips are consistent (length).
A better method is the Hornady Load-N-Load O.A.L. Guage (straight for bolt action), the LNL Modified Case (.260 Rem) and the Hornady LNL Bullet Comparator (fits on digital caliper). You can get the Comparator and just the caliber insert (.264") you need or buy a Comparator and Basic set with 6 or 14 inserts. These kits are very handy if you reload for several calibers as I do. The kit with 6 inserts does not have .264. I bought this kit and added a .264 insert (much cheaper).
It is almost futile to try to obtain an accurate OAL for each bullet by measuring off the bullet tip. The tools I listed are for measuring off the bullet's ogive which will be more consistent and is the reference point used for measuring off the Lag's of your rifle's barrel.
The freebore in the chamber of my .260 (Remington 700 Mtn Rifle LSS) seems too shallow, but is probably factory/SAAMI specs. It's OK for the 100gn bullets but I wish it were a bit longer so as not to push the 120's and heavier so far back in the case. I usually try to keep all my loads .010" off the LaG. Hope this helps. JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.