260 or 308 for AR 10 build?

TomBruto

Hello All,

I am building a 308AR and cant decide what round i want it to shoot. I am very familliar with the 308 and part of me says "if it aint broke, dont fix it!", but another part of me says "you already have a 308, try something new!". Since this rifle will be used mostly for hunting and some target shooting, I would like it to be able to drop a 300+lb hog at 600+ yds. I would like to be able to hit things at 1000yds with it. Does anyone know how effective the 260, or 6.5 creedmore are on medium sized game at extended ranges? Also i would like to know if that round will cycle well in an ar platform, what kind of velocities would i be seeing in a 20" barrel, accuracy potential, etc.. Basiclly I would like to know as much about this as possible before i decide. I realize that bolt actions are the norm around here, but any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hello All,

I am building a 308AR and cant decide what round i want it to shoot. I am very familliar with the 308 and part of me says "if it aint broke, dont fix it!", but another part of me says "you already have a 308, try something new!". Since this rifle will be used mostly for hunting and some target shooting, I would like it to be able to drop a 300+lb hog at 600+ yds. I would like to be able to hit things at 1000yds with it. Does anyone know how effective the 260, or 6.5 creedmore are on medium sized game at extended ranges? Also i would like to know if that round will cycle well in an ar platform, what kind of velocities would i be seeing in a 20" barrel, accuracy potential, etc.. Basiclly I would like to know as much about this as possible before i decide. I realize that bolt actions are the norm around here, but any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I would not rule out the 7-08 as well, and another that might be even more interesting would be the .338 Federal. With the latter your talking serious knock down power!
gary

a few years back when i bought my ar10 i went through the same thing. My buddy had a 260 and liked it, it was accurate and mild recoiling. I ended up going with the 308. Mostly because bullets and brass were much easier to come by and in a shtf senerio ammo would be too. theres still ammo out there that doesnt cost an arm and a leg for someone that just wants to plink with one. As to hunting a 600 yards id say both are about equal and both are a bit marginal. Make it 400 and id say your a bit more realistic. Even at those ranges i like more gun. I shoot about 50 deer a year doing crop damage shooting and when the field im hunting will bring shots out past 300 yards youll usually see me with mag rifle of some sorts. Killing animals isnt the same as killing beer cans or putting holes in targets. You owe it to the animal you shoot to insure its killed cleanly and quickly and add to that it about ruins my night when i have to go and follow blood trails. The 308 and 260 will no doubt kill a pig or deer at 600 yards but id bet a dime to a dollar if you shoot two youll at least be tracking one of them. I know in some places hogs are hated and some guys dont care much if there wounded and run off but keep in mind there still a living thing that feels pain and you still have an obligation to put them down fast.

Agreed, I have been shooting deer and hogs out past 300 yards without any problem. Of the only trails I have followed since i have been shooting my 308 savage, one was the second in line with a double head shot i attempted (which i dont recomend with a 308) and the other was a perfect sholder shot with my fathers 30-06. I have decided to stick with the 308 because i already have brass, dies, bullets, spare ammo, etc. I will probably build this rifle in 308 and rebarrel my savage in 260 down the line. Thanks to all for the replys.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.