26 Nosler????? !!!!!

I was at the Harrisburg show and Hillbilly Custom Rifles Hillbilly Custom Rifles had a rifle built in 26 Nosler already. They had a prototype case they received from Nosler and it was made using 7mm RUM brass. Looked like Nosler shortened 7mm RUM brass to a capacity of 93 grains of water. Nate Chesney said they had ordered a reamer for the 26 Nosler necked up to 7mm which should have a capacity about the same as the STW. It will have the advantage of no belt and being a bit shorter than the STW will give more magazine length to seat out the 168 or 180 Berger.

I was at the Harrisburg show and Hillbilly Custom Rifles Hillbilly Custom Rifles had a rifle built in 26 Nosler already. They had a prototype case they received from Nosler and it was made using 7mm RUM brass. Looked like Nosler shortened 7mm RUM brass to a capacity of 93 grains of water. Nate Chesney said they had ordered a reamer for the 26 Nosler necked up to 7mm which should have a capacity about the same as the STW. It will have the advantage of no belt and being a bit shorter than the STW will give more magazine length to seat out the 168 or 180 Berger.
I knew that wouldn't take too long LOL Bet we see a .30 cal variant in the next month or so as well.

Matrix recommends an 8 twist but I to would be interested to hear from the guys running bigger cases. I am hoping 3100 would be possible.

You should be far faster than that!! I shoot a little 6.5 SS and I run them 3050 with more than 20 grains less capacity and I'm not at top pressure which is around 3150 fps.

Am i the only one who isnt excited by this? There are plenty ways to get that kind of speed from a 6.5. Hell neck down a 300 norma or 7rum and tah dah! Barrel life will be atrocious but im guessing it wont keep most folks from trying it out. Lets just take cheytac case, cut it down to "norma" size and neck it down to a 6.5. Then ill get excited :)

I was hoping the 26 could surpass 3100.
Im guessing you are running an 8 twist. How long is your wsm barrel?

Matrix recommends an 8" twist for the 160's so if that's what you have you should be fine. You should easily be able to exceed 3100 in the 26 Nosler. You will want to use a slow burning powder in the range of RL33 to RL50. My max charge of RL33 in the 6.5 WSM is 67 gr with the bullet seated well into the case. That is close to 100% capacity.

Matrix recommends an 8" twist for the 160's so if that's what you have you should be fine. You should easily be able to exceed 3100 in the 26 Nosler. You will want to use a slow burning powder in the range of RL33 to RL50. My max charge of RL33 in the 6.5 WSM is 67 gr with the bullet seated well into the case. That is close to 100% capacity.
Have you had any good experience with RL 33 in the 300wm, 300 Rum and 7mm STW?

It's one of the powders that isn't horribly hard to find so I've been considering giving it a try but I don't find much on it in these calibers.

Have you had any good experience with RL 33 in the 300wm, 300 Rum and 7mm STW?

It's one of the powders that isn't horribly hard to find so I've been considering giving it a try but I don't find much on it in these calibers.

I have never owned a WM or STW. It works well in my 300 RUM shooting 230 Hybrid Targets. Good velocity and accuracy. Also using it in my 6-284 and 6.5 WSM. Just loaded a bunch of accuracy test rounds with 160's of different charges and seating depth in the 6.5, and as soon as the wind lets up here, I'll be giving them a go.

He told me same. I really liked Nathan and his rifles. I was cool watching he excited when talking about building rifles. Might go with him on the next build

Good to know you guys liked him, I saw him there Sunday but he was so busy I didn't get a chance to talk to him. Going up Saturday hopefully get to speak to him. I've been looking for a 6.5 caliber for a while was set to pull the trigger on a creedmor but glad I waited. Don't do any reloading so this gun/caliber should be perfect!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.