26 Nosler????? !!!!!

What do you guys think the barrel life will be on a 26 nosler?

Does it really matter? If you liked fast cars the tires would not last so you change them when they needed it. Sorry not trying to be an as$, we will not know that for a while and it will all depend on your individual application.

I shoot a .264 Win Mag loaded hot enough I throw the cases away after 5 -6 loadings. I have slightly over 800+ rounds down the tube. It shot groups in the .250" range when I did my part (That was 7 years ago). Before this hunting season I shot it to confirm zero and shot sub 1/2". It has lost about 30 fps average since the load was developed. I hunt with it, and now only run about 25-50 rounds a year through it at most and that is due to the development of new better bullets or new lots of powder etc.... I figure the barrel will last to 1200 before I need another. I bought a new action, stock and scope to build another 6.5 to tinker with and was looking to wild cat it in 6.5 X 300Win with a long thoat to shoot the 140 Bergers... Now I am on hold waiting to see more on this case. I like the fact that this will be a fat case about the win mag length with no belt.

Does it really matter? If you liked fast cars the tires would not last so you change them when they needed it. Sorry not trying to be an as$, we will not know that for a while and it will all depend on your individual application.

I shoot a .264 Win Mag loaded hot enough I throw the cases away after 5 -6 loadings. I have slightly over 800+ rounds down the tube. It shot groups in the .250" range when I did my part (That was 7 years ago). Before this hunting season I shot it to confirm zero and shot sub 1/2". It has lost about 30 fps average since the load was developed. I hunt with it, and now only run about 25-50 rounds a year through it at most and that is due to the development of new better bullets or new lots of powder etc.... I figure the barrel will last to 1200 before I need another. I bought a new action, stock and scope to build another 6.5 to tinker with and was looking to wild cat it in 6.5 X 300Win with a long thoat to shoot the 140 Bergers... Now I am on hold waiting to see more on this case. I like the fact that this will be a fat case about the win mag length with no belt.
Ditto. Barrel life is only a serious consideration for high volume shooters. If someone wants a plinker in 6.5 that they can do a lot of high volume shooting they need to stick to the 6.5 Lapua, 6.5 Creedmore, or .260 Rem.

You don't however buy a hotrod and drive it full throttle and expect it to last like Granny's Caddy, or mom's Volvo.

Does it really matter?

Hello and welcome to LRH.

I think it matters. Rounds thats have been deemed barrel burners tend to be much less popular to the public. Hurting sales dramatically. Look at the 220 swift. Will it still be accepted by enthusiast, long range hunters and shooters looking to get the most outta their favorite 6.5mm bullets? Undoubtedly!

If nothing else i think itd be fun to estimate. Sure looks like it holds a whole bunch of powder.

Hello and welcome to LRH.

I think it matters. Rounds thats have been deemed barrel burners tend to be much less popular to the public. Hurting sales dramatically. Look at the 220 swift. Will it still be accepted by enthusiast, long range hunters and shooters looking to get the most outta their favorite 6.5mm bullets? Undoubtedly!

If nothing else i think itd be fun to estimate. Sure looks like it holds a whole bunch of powder.
I look at the .220 swift every day and have owned three of them over the last 40 years. Considering there are still a dozen manufacturers producing them in factory rifles and factory ammo to feed them I don't really see your point.

The .264wm and 7mm Rem are both considered barrel burners as well yet there are millions of each still in circulation and every major ammo mfg produces factory ammo for them in multiple loads and bullets.

I look at the .220 swift every day and have owned three of them over the last 40 years. Considering there are still a dozen manufacturers producing them in factory rifles and factory ammo to feed them I don't really see your point.

The .264wm and 7mm Rem are both considered barrel burners as well yet there are millions of each still in circulation and every major ammo mfg produces factory ammo for them in multiple loads and bullets.

Yes you are right. Just trying to point out the relevance of public sales in relation to barrel life. Perhaps this isnt the time to guess at it.

Yes you are right. Just trying to point out the relevance of public sales in relation to barrel life. Perhaps this isnt the time to guess at it.
Rumors of barrel burning used to kill calibers, but we're decades past that. With modern steel, machining, and of course the nitiding processes available it's just not a major consideration any more except for high volume shooters.

When I was young, word of mouth was it other than a handful of print publications. Today one has access to more information literally at their fingertips thanks to the internet than was available in the largest library in the world.

Such rumors may scare off a few, but for those of us who seek high performance, flat shooting rounds we know what we're getting into.

Personally I've been looking for a factory cartridge with this kind of 6.5 performance for a couple of decades and will most likely own one of the 26's within a few months of them hitting the market.

There's also a large almost cult like following of 6.5 lovers that will likely be all over this round as soon as they can get rifles, or get them built, along with of course the brass and factory ammo.

It will be a fad for a couple of years, and then we'll see what kind of lasting power it has. With a company like Nosler behind it's development and thus a guaranteed supply of brass and factory ammo for decades I strongly believe it will have great staying power in the market as long as the performance is as good as or better than advertised.

Love how Nosler isn't comparing things fairly right off. Using a LRAB in the 26, but just a standard AB on the other rounds. It probably won't make a huge difference if they were to change that, but still...

No doubt, it'll be a burner!

Love how Nosler isn't comparing things fairly right off. Using a LRAB in the 26, but just a standard AB on the other rounds. It probably won't make a huge difference if they were to change that, but still...

No doubt, it'll be a burner!
Yep, it's just shocking that Nosler would promote their new bullets and their proprietary round to their advantage... .

MV's will be virtually identical between the ALR and Accubond and very little difference out to 400yds.

Honestly nosler probably knows it's a bit of barrel burner. I think this another step they are taking to reach in to the LR hunting market. If anything it will provide a new case for wildcatting.

Honestly nosler probably knows it's a bit of barrel burner. I think this another step they are taking to reach in to the LR hunting market. If anything it will provide a new case for wildcatting.
They certainly have great engineers, ballisticians, and gun makers working for them so I have little doubt they know the advantages and disadvantages to their proprietary cartridge.

Those of us who shoot big open wheat fields or hunt the plains for antelope and mule deer can see the value in a 6.5mm capable of these velocities provided there is good accuracy. I think while there may be some desire to get into the LR market with their own round, the greater commercial value is to the average hunter in the est who just wants an accurate flat shooter or 400yds and closer.

This ought to be an absolute monster for those applications and for taking coyotes on the run where velocity makes a huge difference.

We have to keep in mind that those of us who shoot beyond that range are a very tiny fraction of the market.

Personally I'm pretty pumped about the possibilities this round offers as it's virtually identical to the 6.5 STW performance wise but it will have much more affordable and readily available brass along with factory ammo that is readily accessible, dependable, and accurate. I shoot a lot of Nosler ammo just so that I can have their brass to reload and I always get very good performance out of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.