25Cal. bear bullet decison?

Discussion in 'Bear Hunting' started by AlbertaAl, Mar 15, 2009.

1. AlbertaAl

AlbertaAl Well-Known Member

My friend owns a 257Weatherby that he wants to use it for black bear this spring. What bullet should I load for him?
    I was leaning toward the BARNES 115 tsx but have chosen the BERGER 115 which is going to be easier to develop an accuracy load.
    I don't think his shooting distances will excede 150 yards...most likely under 100 yards.
    Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. gun_rat82

gun_rat82 Well-Known Member

shoot the barnes! It'll hold up better at close range , they shoot well enough and it'll penetrate deep enough to settle out any bears with an attitude!
    cheers!

3. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

Go with the mono-metal bullet.

Steve

4. tobehunted

tobehunted Well-Known Member

Wonder how a nosler partition would do ?

5. AlbertaAl

Exactly what I was thinking...since i've never had much luck with Barnes accuracy in other calibres

6. tobehunted

tobehunted Well-Known Member

They work good in some rifles but i just never had any luck grouping them. Always was able to get the partitions to group though. I would think they would hold up for that. Would be good to see how they would work , especially since i have 2 25-06s

7. AlbertaAl

BARNES bullets have a reputation for best accuracy when loaded with a deeper bullet seating and might suit the Weatherby "free-bore" very well.

8. RockyMtnMT

If you would rather go with a traditional lead core bullet you might want to look into the Swift A-Frame or the Scirroco. I personally think you should go with a bullet that you can get expansion and still drive through the bear.

jmho, Steve

9. MT4XFore

MT4XFore Well-Known Member

110 Nosler Accubond--- No question!!!!

10. RockyMtnMT

Another very good bullet. I have only used them in the 7mm and 30cal. I think the Accubond and the Scirroco are the two to choose between for the range you are talking about. BC's are high enough to reach down range if you decide to. I think the Scirroco will retain weight a little better.

Steve

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  11. azsugarbear

azsugarbear Well-Known Member

If max range is only 150-200 yds, then accuracy isn't a big issue. At that distance, even 2 MOA will get the job done on a lung shot. Although I am partial to Accubonds for LRH, the Barnes TSX gets the nod for close in work. The open petal design usually operates without flaw and the destruction is devastating. The TSX is extremely lethal and would be my bullet of choice.

12. AlbertaAl

Thanks guys...
    I'll take the advice and pickup the TSX, just as my instincts told me from the beginning, I'm better off using a high retention bullet.
    -Alan

13. screech

screech Well-Known Member

personally the accubond and partition get my vote.

14. 25-284 alberta

25-284 alberta Member

shot bears northern alberta for years with 25-06 25-284 257 roy all with 120gr grandslams drt no disapointmentsgun)