257wby vs 30-06

You apparently like smaller case capacity rifles.............. that's fine. As to the poster the 257W is a fine rifle for it's intended purpose.

I hear where you are comig from. It is not the smaller case volume I am so fond of. There is an optimum bullet for every case. But with rifles there is also a very obvious point of diminishing returns. It can easily turn into a waste of powder and is certain to result in a short barrel life. I choose the 300 win now as it will allow me to shoot as much as I want and last well beyond a year before needing a new tube. To put it into hot rod terms, it is a lot like when I was tuning and driving blown nitro cars. I could tip the can to turn up the wick, but I might be short of bullets come final round.

Jeff

I hear where you are comig from. It is not the smaller case volume I am so fond of. There is am optimum bullet for every case. But with rifles there is also a very obvious point of diminishing returns. It can easily turn into a waste of powder and is certain to result in a short barrel life. I choose the 300 win now as it will allow me to shoot as much as I want and last well beyond a year before needing a new tube. To put it into hot rod terms, it is a lot like when I was tuning and driving blown nitro cars. I could tip the can to turn up the wick, but I might be short of bullets come final round.

Jeff

We are getting off topic, but last night i was looking at bench rest shooting stats. It appears to me that in the short ranges the most accurate rifles are the 30 BR or the 30 BRX and you are only talking 40 grains of powder. Then the 1000 yard record was taken in 2011 with a 300 Weatherby.

I have competed in 30 cal with two rifles 308 win and 30-378. They both have a purpose in life. the 30-378 was a barrel burner and failed as my 1000 yrd paper rifle. To much Nitro! LOL

Good day to all! I have a Rem 700 LSS 257wby with timney trigger and fluted bbl that a guy wants to trade for his Winchester extreme weather 30-06 models set aside do you figure this would be a good trade? Ballistically is the 257 better for shots out to and beyond 400 meters which one would you use?

I'm a huge fan of the 06 and it will take elk out to 650 with the right load but it's whatever floats your boat dude.

Thanks for all the opinions guys and or gals. I made up my mind and went with the 30-06 simply because of the terrain thats up here. But on a lighter note I decided to keep the 257 as well:rolleyes: I just cant bring myself to get rid of it after taking a 6'6 brown bear at 451 meters with it last year.

Cheers

Thumper

Thanks for all the opinions guys and or gals. I made up my mind and went with the 30-06 simply because of the terrain thats up here. But on a lighter note I decided to keep the 257 as well:rolleyes: I just cant bring myself to get rid of it after taking a 6'6 brown bear at 451 meters with it last year.

Cheers

Thumper

Excellent choice and you just added a new rig to the stable. Winner all the way around.

Good decision! Or at least that's how I make firearm decisions. Probably why my checkbook is empty, and my safe is full. Keep in mind you can always buy a bigger safe if you run out of room.

The perfect choice, BOTH! That is exactly what I would have done. Maybe thats why I have grown out of my safe?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.