Crane

Got a brand new 27 inch .257 Rock #5 sporter in the mail I was considering building a 25-284 out of but the 257STW keeps calling my name. An 85 gr GS HV bullet at 4000+ fps would be something to behold.

Before you guy's start doggin' me about the fast/light weight thing I already have an EDGE to reach way out there. Still haven't found "THE" load for it yet but with only about 30 rounds down the tube I managed a 1.753 CTC group at 500 yards with it. Need a calm wind day to check it out.

Anyone here shoot the 257STW or 25-284?

Didn't see that recent post on the 25-284 until now so disregard; but I would still like some info on the STW. I've read the hype now a little real world data would be nice.

I am a big fan of both of these rounds. I will say however, and this is not a bash on light ultralight bullets, its simply a fact, the STW will be more consistant and accurate with a heavier bullet. 85 grains is just not enough bullet weight to get a consistant powder burn with a case capacity of this size with the powders that would be appropriate.

I really recommend at least 100 gr bullet weights in the STW. You loose a bit in velocity but you will still be pushing 3800 fps very hard and perhaps a bit more. Believe me, a 100 gr bullet at +3800 fps is most impressive.

If you really want to shoot the 85 gr bullets, I would highly recommend going with something like a 25 WSM or 25-264 Win Mag class chamberings. They will work much better with this bullet weight.

Again, not bashing the hyper velocity thing, just telling you that if you want consistant velocities out of the big STW case, you will be much happier with the 100 gr and heavier bullets.

Thanks fifty, 3800fps will do me fine with the 100 gr. bullet. I was just thinking how fast those light GS bullets would be. TSX or the 110 gr. Accubond would be the ticket. I always get a crowd gathered around to check out the EDGE at the range. Everyone is impressed by your work.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.