257 weatherby your thoughts??

Dalebow

I am going to NM for an antelope hunt in Sept, I am making it a CO rifle bear hunt and then swinging down for goat. I have the pref points so I will draw the bear tag, goat take is private landowner and is sure thing. I will be flying and usually only like to fly with one rifle/ammo, less hassle. I will be taking my McWhorter in 257 weatherby that is zeroed and a complete tack driver with the Weatherby 80gr TTSX.
If I keep my shots reasonable on bear 200 yards or less do you think the 80gr TTSX will do the job??
Thanks
Dale

Last edited:
Yes. I have taken 1/2 doz. w/ bow. My kid pole axed a 5pt. buck out of my 223 @ 350 w/62 tsx. I have friends that do there goat hunting w/22-250's. Just lung em. That tsx will shoot threw some meat.

Don't see any reason why not.
Buddy of mine has killed a ton of bears with a .243. All fair chase, spot, & stock, no gimmie shots over bait at pre determined yardages short range.
I've smoked a few with various cartriges, rifle, & handgun, spot & stock. Id say 257Roy would be just fine.

Ive used it on goats and it rocks, was just a little concerned with bear but people shoot em all the time with a 243, pistols, etc
Just hoping for some real world experience with bears and lighter calibers, sounds like you guys are having some lake.

One simple thing you could do if you want more E, just punch out a 115 tsx or 100 scirocco II gun)I HAVE the tsx and 110 nab , and would not even hesitate on a 4-500 bradside

I was thinking the 100grain TSX as it would be a step up from the 80 grain and still flat to 300 for goats, I have slammed lot of critters with the tsx/ttsx and other than the disappointment in the 165 gr ttsx in my 30 wsm I love em, went back to 180gr ttsx in the 300 and is is rocking the critters:D

The bears I have taken all went down without a fight. A bullet through both lungs will end it in a hurry. The 25 wby is more than a match for black bear. I for one would favor a heavier slug, but that just me.

I wouldnt be concerned at all. If that 80grner is what you have been shooting stick with it, it will kill a bear no problem. My brother in law killed one with a 22-250 50gr corelock i believe 250yds dead right there. My 257 has killed several deer, the longest was 760yds, another at 550yds. Last year in wyoming, I killed two antelope, and a mulie buck at 400yds, he dropped like a sack of taters haha.

thanks, I have used it for bang flops on antelope and since I will have a chance to hunt both I will stick with what I know works, zeroed at 300 Iam only 6" low at 400, cant wait:D

I have shot bears with bullets and arrows and they have all been very tough animals. I"m sure your 100 grain bullet will kill the bear, but will you be able to find him when he dies? My policy is to get exit wounds on bears so your chances of a good blood trail are better. If I was hunting bears with a .25 caliber, I would shoot him in the neck. Everything drops with neck shots.

I think a bullet thru the lungs is the best way to go, Ive only killed 3 bears but one one was 503# certified scales, the other were 300 and 250#. I would not try to shoot at a bear in the neck with the hair it could look to be a good shot and might miss everything that matters, but I may be wrong because Ive never shot one in the neck.gun)

I have shot bears with bullets and arrows and they have all been very tough animals. I"m sure your 100 grain bullet will kill the bear, but will you be able to find him when he dies? My policy is to get exit wounds on bears so your chances of a good blood trail are better. If I was hunting bears with a .25 caliber, I would shoot him in the neck. Everything drops with neck shots.

Oddly enough the only bear I've ever lost was hit in the neck, with no sign of exit.
The rest have all been boiler room shots from just about every angle imaginable. Aside from one we took with handguns, all died within feet, not yards, of where they were shot. A few tumbled off the mountainside or off cliffs, & needed to be recovered, but died lightening fast at impact or within 2-5 steps. (30-06, 270WSM, & 338Win) Most were taken with my 270WSM with handloaded 140 Accubonds, or bonded 150gr Fusions before I handloaded.
The handgun bear soaked up some lead. But died in a couple hundred yards. (44mag, & 357mag).
The only times id take a neck shot on purpose on anything, is if it was the only shot offered, & the conditions were right, or if it was in line with the vitals for my bullet path.
Weird how peoples experiences differ.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.