257 weatherby mag

Greg, just so you know, when you run out of that lot of RE22 you will be back at square one, I would switch to H4831sc, Imr7828, or AA3100 if you want to stay in that burn rate without having to worry if the next lot of RE22 is closer to RE19 or RE25, I have a pound of 22 under my bench that's with the 25 because its just as slow, I was using almost 75grns under a 140 in a 270wby.

If you get two touching and one just off, I would call that good enough for a hunting rifle. Thin barreled Weatherby's heat up fast so bedding with Devcon steel 10110 will definitely help with that. If you can put the first cold bore shot where you want it now, it really doesn't matter where the 4th and 5th shots go on a hunting rifle. When developing a load for my weatherby, I let it cool 5 minutes between each shot witht he bolt open.

I agree. Well said. I am going to try to cold bore sight it next time out by waiting extra time between shots. I need to chrono also and see what speed I am getting. I have no pressure signs at all and cases that have been fired twice that have not stretched a bit. I may want to try beefing them up a little also. 64.5 is listed as max for RL22 and 115 NBT's and I am at 64.0. I am going to try some other powder some day, but working this for now.

I agree. Well said. I am going to try to cold bore sight it next time out by waiting extra time between shots. I need to chrono also and see what speed I am getting. I have no pressure signs at all and cases that have been fired twice that have not stretched a bit. I may want to try beefing them up a little also. 64.5 is listed as max for RL22 and 115 NBT's and I am at 64.0. I am going to try some other powder some day, but working this for now.
Ammoguide has 115 barns with RL22 as 69.0 grains as max load 3323 fps.

Greg, just so you know, when you run out of that lot of RE22 you will be back at square one, I would switch to H4831sc, Imr7828, or AA3100 if you want to stay in that burn rate without having to worry if the next lot of RE22 is closer to RE19 or RE25, I have a pound of 22 under my bench that's with the 25 because its just as slow, I was using almost 75grns under a 140 in a 270wby.

What kind of charge weight do you use of 4831SC? I have some of that I use for my 270 WIN but did not think of it for the WBY.

.With an oal of 3.160-3.210" with H4831sc start at about 65grns and I seriously doubt you will find pressure at 66 grns, H4831 is closest to Imr7828 in burn rate and 66grn isn't very much, alsoo switch to CCI BR2 or Fed210M primers, if you feel you must use a mag. num primer I suggest WLRM primers. Another good load for the best of both worlds kinda deal is 69-71grns H1000 with CCI 250s at around 3.200" oal. Just be safe, fyi I really do not care for alliant powders they are just the go to's for pure velocity, imo all Olin powders are superior.

I had my .257 weatherby mag re-barreled and worked up a great load with barnes 100 grain bullet and RL 25.

Yup, H-1000, Fed 215's and the 115 NBT at 3.30 OAL. One is a Lazermark 26" factory re-barreled and the other an Ultra Lightweight. Running @3400fps sub MOA at 200 first 2 touch 3rd 10:00 by 1/2" outside. 4th shot outside by 2+" 5th shot whoa. This is an intense cartridge.

By the way when shooting groups in a hunting rifle, IMO, use a hunting situation, fire 3 then remove the bolt and let it go COLD. Meaning COLD steel as in a hunting situation let truck an hour ago. Not 'a little warm' or timing in between shots. I have a battery powered fan that I blow from receiver forward during warm months. Worried about barrel wear..buy a .308.

You are using a hunting rifle....are you gonna time your shots in the field. COLD STEEL is a first cold bore shot...that's what counts...Hail Mary's after that but if you practice Hail Mary's they work too. After the 3rd the animal is usually in high gear anyhow and you need to analyze why you missed..

3 quick shots then let it go COLD if you don't have the time don't go to the range that day. If you do use a fan, shut the fan off and wait for barrel temp to 'normalize' before shooting. IMO.

By the way I had over 2000 rounds down that first barrel on the Lazermark. It was a #1 contour 24" Jap forged. Weatherby called and said it shot great <3/4" at 100 w 100's and 1/2" w/120 Partition's why do want to change it.? I asked hoew many rounds before it give up?? I got the new barrel because I can and I did 'cause I wanted to. I shoot my all rifles alot.

This chambering in factory rifles does take some rounds down the tube to 'come in'.

The .257 Weatherby is...A Great Cartridge enjoy it....just let the barrel go COLD!!

Yup, H-1000, Fed 215's and the 115 NBT at 3.30 OAL. One is a Lazermark 26" factory re-barreled and the other an Ultra Lightweight. Running @3400fps sub MOA at 200 first 2 touch 3rd 10:00 by 1/2" outside. 4th shot outside by 2+" 5th shot whoa. This is an intense cartridge.

How many grains of H1000 are you using with the 115NBTs?

Thanks!

Yup, H-1000, Fed 215's and the 115 NBT at 3.30 OAL. One is a Lazermark 26" factory re-barreled and the other an Ultra Lightweight. Running @3400fps sub MOA at 200 first 2 touch 3rd 10:00 by 1/2" outside. 4th shot outside by 2+" 5th shot whoa. This is an intense cartridge
3 quick shots then let it go COLD if you don't have the time don't go to the range that day. If you do use a fan, shut the fan off and wait for barrel temp to 'normalize' before shooting. IMO.

Thank you for your insight. I have expierenced the same thing. I am glad that it is a normal operation of an intense cartridge. Thanks again for sharing your wisdom.

Ammoguide has 115 barns with RL22 as 69.0 grains as max load 3323 fps.

I saw that too. I have a lyman manual that has a 115gr load that shows max at 64.5. Wonder why the difference. I was thinking of bumping it up a little, want to shoot through the chrony first though, after I dial in accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.