257 SYW primer pockets

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by nvwolfer, Nov 12, 2007.

1. nvwolfer

nvwolfer Member

I have been having problems with primer pockets expanding with my 257 stw. This is happening sometimes after one firing and with mild loads, no excessive pressure at all. I have 2 friends that also are having the exact same problem. I thought it was the Remington brass but I tried some Winchester and I'm having the same problem.
    I know there seems to be some people on here shooting the 257 stw and i was wondering if you were having similar problems or if anyone had any possible solutions.
    Thanks, Gary

2. devildoc

devildoc Well-Known Member

sure sounds like pressure to me. Try a different load.

3. jwp475

jwp475 Well-Known Member

The stretching of primer pockets is most definately a sign of excess pressure......Wouldn't this post fit better in the reloading section?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  4. nvwolfer

nvwolfer Member

It isn't pressure as all 3 of us have loaded way down. I tried loads that were 5 grains lower than the listed starting load. 100 grain ballsitic tip with 70 grains of Ram Shot Magnum and the pocket expanded after one firing.

5. devildoc

devildoc Well-Known Member

Umm, yes it can be pressure. Not enough powder can create high pressure just like too much can. Move up into the recommended range and I bet you won't be stretchin' your primer pockets out. ;)

6. jwp475

jwp475 Well-Known Member

A primer pocket can't stretch by majic it has to be pressure......

7. mikenc

mikenc Well-Known Member

Very good point that not many people know or consider.