257 Roy vs 300 WSM @ 800yds

sodakhunter

I have been shooting a 257 WM for 6 years now, and absolutely love it. I have made kills on whitetails(which is all I hunt) around the 600 yd. mark. I would like to stretch this out to an 800yd max. I stumbled across a great deal on a Sako 300 WSM and nearly pulled the trigger on the deal, but I resisted the temptation. However, finding this deal prompted me to run some numbers. Take a look and tell me what you guys think.

Here is how the numbers ran in my calculator

@800yds 300 WSM (180gr) 257 WM(115 gr.)
Velocity 1715 1890
Energy 1176 912
Wind Drift (10mph) 46.1" 43"

Here is where it gets tricky for me, and would like some input from you guys. I primarily shoot nosler bullets(ballistic tips). The folks at nosler reccomend a minimum of 1800 f.p.s. to get the optimum performance. This would give the edge to the .257. I realize that the energy of the 300 supasses that of the 257, but is the lack of velocity going to cause bullet failure. I've also heard time and time again that the quarter bores won't buck the wind like the .30's will. Either that is false, or numbers lie, and I better find another way to account for wind other than dialing it in on my turrets.

I guess the bottom line is, am I going to gain enough benefit with the 300 WSM to justify spending $1500.00 on a new rifle/scope. Don't get me wrong, I love buying guns as much as the next guy, but I am married, hence the need for justification. Thanks for the time and I look forward to ALL of your responses

My Dad has hunted with the .257 Roy my entire 36 years. I honestly see no reason to move from the Roy to the WSM. Not Saying the WSM isnt a fantastic round because it is. I just dont see where the money spent is needed when you already have the .257.

Take your family on a vacation instead. You will be much happier doing that than when you realize you wasted your money on the WSM.

I'll be looking forward to some good comments too. I have shot a 25-06 for 20 years but I sold it off a few years ago (dumb I know) and I am leaning towards an Accumark in 257... so anything I can read/hear about them is of great interest!

Bring it on!

The wsm is an awesome design I have 2 of them, but I also have a 700 LSS mountain rifle in 257 wby and if whitetail and 800 yards is it keep the wby, the weatherby case design is my favorite next to the 284 and wsm. With 115 nbts out of the royy at 34-3500fps depending on barrel length and a few other things its a 500 yrd laser and not a lot of compensation out to 800. I would keep it, but its really a win win, they are both greats rounds.

I would look at it this way. In your shooting career and I dont know how long that is, but if it is long or same type as now. How many for sure shots our game taken at that range. Are you loosing out on many opportunities. Here is a flip side also. I was in middle of build and gave my kid my LRHAMMER. I was shooting my 325 WSM and had neglected to work with it more, as I ALREADY had my build, but it had a issue. I missed a 180 muley that was my only shot for the year at wind and 780 yrds. with a good amount of angle. I had spent more time with my 257 for speed goats at that range and feel I would have connected.

I have been shooting a 257 WM for 6 years now, and absolutely love it. I have made kills on whitetails(which is all I hunt) around the 600 yd. mark. I would like to stretch this out to an 800yd max. I stumbled across a great deal on a Sako 300 WSM and nearly pulled the trigger on the deal, but I resisted the temptation. However, finding this deal prompted me to run some numbers. Take a look and tell me what you guys think.

Here is how the numbers ran in my calculator

@800yds 300 WSM (180gr) 257 WM(115 gr.)
Velocity 1715 1890
Energy 1176 912
Wind Drift (10mph) 46.1" 43"

Here is where it gets tricky for me, and would like some input from you guys. I primarily shoot nosler bullets(ballistic tips). The folks at nosler reccomend a minimum of 1800 f.p.s. to get the optimum performance. This would give the edge to the .257. I realize that the energy of the 300 supasses that of the 257, but is the lack of velocity going to cause bullet failure. I've also heard time and time again that the quarter bores won't buck the wind like the .30's will. Either that is false, or numbers lie, and I better find another way to account for wind other than dialing it in on my turrets.

I guess the bottom line is, am I going to gain enough benefit with the 300 WSM to justify spending $1500.00 on a new rifle/scope. Don't get me wrong, I love buying guns as much as the next guy, but I am married, hence the need for justification. Thanks for the time and I look forward to ALL of your responses
The availability of very high quality high BC hunting bullets for the 30 cals make them a clearly superior choice. The greater the range the greater the difference between them.

I would look at it this way. In your shooting career and I dont know how long that is, but if it is long or same type as now. How many for sure shots our game taken at that range. Are you loosing out on many opportunities. Here is a flip side also. I was in middle of build and gave my kid my LRHAMMER. I was shooting my 325 WSM and had neglected to work with it more, as I ALREADY had my build, but it had a issue. I missed a 180 muley that was my only shot for the year at wind and 780 yrds. with a good amount of angle. I had spent more time with my 257 for speed goats at that range and feel I would have connected.
Good take SP. I have not missed any opportuities on anything outside of 700 yds., and have cleanly taken whitetails and mule deer in that 600+ range, and I am very confident in my rifle. The recoil is so light, and the gun is supremely accurate for an out of the box model 700. I'll stick with what is working right now. Thanks for the input guys.

Wildrose is spot on in his view, the 30 has greater BC,and the faster you push it the more usable range. As mainly a elk hunter and high country muley, I go a step further and favor .338. A 1000 yrd bench friend of mine shot a 300 wsm for years, took a speed goat @ 1000+, AND SET 2 world records this year, but that was w/ his 6mm Dasher.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts