.257 Roberts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guest, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

In my day to day Gunsmithing business, I happened across a Winchester .257 Roberts in remarkable condition, and at a bargain price of $400. cash. After looking at the rifling and bolt play, I'm not sure if it has ever been fired.
    My questions: I have never had any experiences with this caliber, but had to buy it, and would like to hear from anyone with some experience. I bought it with plans for my 14 year old to hunt Whitetail this Fall. I appreciate any comments / information. Thanks, Nighthunter264winmag

"The only difference between mediocrity and excellence, is EFFORT!"null

2. Pahunter

Pahunter Well-Known Member

the .257 is a great caliber for deer [​IMG] Its about perfect for a kid that age

3. booger

booger Member

I agree with PAhunter. Have used one with handloads for years. Only difference is it's a M77.

4. BLovell

BLovell Member

nighthunter264winmag,
    I would highly recommend the .257. It is a great round. You can also increase its potential by reaming it out to the Ackley improved. My wife and I both shoot these guns and love them dearly. [​IMG] This increases your velocity by about 10%. With the Ackley Improved and 100gr bullets you can have the velocity of most all .25-06 100gr loads and use less powder.

5. MAX

MAX Well-Known Member

Bob works fine for grownups too, or so I've been told. Don't expect to grow up for another 30 years or so. [​IMG]

6. jro45

jro45 Well-Known Member

I own a Weatherby 257 mag. and I think it is a great gun for grownups too. I plan on doing some deer hunting with it next hunting trip.