.257 Roberts

G

In my day to day Gunsmithing business, I happened across a Winchester .257 Roberts in remarkable condition, and at a bargain price of $400. cash. After looking at the rifling and bolt play, I'm not sure if it has ever been fired.
My questions: I have never had any experiences with this caliber, but had to buy it, and would like to hear from anyone with some experience. I bought it with plans for my 14 year old to hunt Whitetail this Fall. I appreciate any comments / information. Thanks, Nighthunter264winmag

"The only difference between mediocrity and excellence, is EFFORT!"null

the .257 is a great caliber for deer
smile.gif
Its about perfect for a kid that age

nighthunter264winmag,
I would highly recommend the .257. It is a great round. You can also increase its potential by reaming it out to the Ackley improved. My wife and I both shoot these guns and love them dearly.
smile.gif
This increases your velocity by about 10%. With the Ackley Improved and 100gr bullets you can have the velocity of most all .25-06 100gr loads and use less powder.

Bob works fine for grownups too, or so I've been told. Don't expect to grow up for another 30 years or so.
rolleyes.gif

I own a Weatherby 257 mag. and I think it is a great gun for grownups too. I plan on doing some deer hunting with it next hunting trip.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.